Putting down a BADLY injured 10wk old pullet...

amartinlb

Songster
10 Years
Mar 17, 2009
Jersey Shore
I've asked my son to consider putting one of my ameraucana pullets out of her pain and misery (read here https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=176694 ).

He said he knows how to do the neck ringing from reading up on it but doesn't like the idea of doing that was wondering if he used a very large heavy piece of slate or a large 30-50lb log would do the job the first time and be quick and painless... ANyone know?

If there are any other ideas let me know.

-Anna

Tell your son a rock that will fit comfortably in his hand is all he needs. Just hit her one good solid blow and the job is done.

Congratulate him for me on a job well done.

for you
hugs.gif

Very sharp hatchet here too, in an emergency. Know there will be an automatic nerve reflex (flapping) for a few seconds. Do not let that shake you up.

Vet's office for a lethal injection if there's time/not an extreme pain issue.

Good luck, take courage, and know there are others here who have taken this grim responsibility too. Thanks for a quick merciful end for your feathered friend.

Since this one was the runt of the 6 chicks we originally got (probably why she got picked on too, we separated the suspected bully and are waiting on a product called "Peepers" which prevents them from pecking to arrive)
I decided on putting her out of her pain and misery (very limp, barely moving, when I brought her out onto the lawn away from the run she fell over and took a minute before she got back up and sat in the grass) I placed her in a black construction garbage bag so I wouldn't have to see the mess, got a 40-50lb large piece of slate and well...you know...

She went quickly and now we know the hard way not to make the same mistakes we made this time when it comes to chickens and pecking...

The suspected bully is currently by herself in the garage with a small brooder waterer and feeder. We're considering moving her into a larger dog cage inside the shed with the others but so that she couldn't bother anyone just yet.

~Ed

JayBird+16 :

Wow. does the gas/paper towel thing actually work? i haven't had to do this yet, but you never know.

Used it last weekend on my rooster with a broken leg. Gone in less than 10 minutes. Breathing just kept getting slower.​

Back
Top Bottom