Putting down the family dog tomorrow....

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by chicmom, Sep 27, 2011.

1. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    The decision is made and it's really sad, to put the family dog (a pomeranian) to sleep. He's 7 or 8 years old, and he was born at our house, when I babysat his mother for a friend on vacation.

Cosmo has always been full of personality, but he's got physical problems that keep escalating. A bad trachea (his throat collapses which causes him to cough and wheeze alot), three knees that give him trouble. Sometimes his back goes out of whack. He's getting so he doesn't want to listen, and he bites. He also has begun lifting his leg in the house. Peed on my stepson's bed and now downstairs in the man cave.

I feel I have to put him down because I've got a 18 month old granddaughter, plus my stepdaughter, who has moved home, is having a baby within a week or two, and he is scary around babies.......I can't risk their injury.

The surgeries are super expensive $1600 per knee (three possible knees) and then $2000 for the trachea operation.....Just too much for my income with a grown kid plus a baby soon coming to live home with us, and another teenager......

So just wanted to share......My sadness......

2. Amyable

Amyable Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2008
    Greenleaf, WI
    [​IMG] [​IMG] Sad but its the best decision for your situation. He had a good life with you.

3. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Quote:Thanks and I appreciate that so much. I'm bringing home his body to bury near the edge of the woods. I can't handle the thought of them just throwing him away or whatever they do......He deserves better. I just can't having him urinating everywhere and his attitude is just getting awfully nasty. Poor guy.

I'm going to spoil him rotton tonight. Believe it or not he loves getting a bath, so I'm going to give him the spa treatment, and I will give him a hamburger, and spoil him tonight by letting him sit on my lap all evening.

4. jennh

jennh Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2007
    Lititz
    So Sorry to hear about your pet. I know. I had to put my 14 1/2 yr old precious cat Athena to sleep a year ago last month. hardest decision I ever had to make, but it was for the best. I couldn't let her suffer. I had tamed her from the wild in my backyard, so I know how close you guys are.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. jennh

jennh Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2007
    Lititz
    Quote:Thanks and I appreciate that so much. I'm bringing home his body to bury near the edge of the woods. I can't handle the thought of them just throwing him away or whatever they do......He deserves better. I just can't having him urinating everywhere and his attitude is just getting awfully nasty. Poor guy.

I'm going to spoil him rotton tonight. Believe it or not he loves getting a bath, so I'm going to give him the spa treatment, and I will give him a hamburger, and spoil him tonight by letting him sit on my lap all evening.

I buried my precious Athena in the front yard, between a statue of St Francis of Assisi, and a huge boulder that chipmunks like to play around.
    The vet came to my house 'cause I wouldn't, couldn't do it in a cold sterile vet's office. I wanted her to pass where she was born and lived all her life. I was there for her at the end. I also just couldn't leave her there at the vet's. [​IMG]

6. bustermommy

bustermommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2011
    My deepest sympathy. I know it's hard, but when a dog is crabby like that when they didn't use to be, it means they're in pain and not enjoying life anymore. I'd want someone to do that for me if I were hurting. [​IMG]

7. LiLRedCV

LiLRedCV Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2010
    Land of the Rain
    I'm sorry... [​IMG] These are never easy decisions to make.

8. cassidy22

cassidy22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2011
    Front Range - Colorado
    I am so sorry. It's never easy to lose a pet. I have an especially soft spot in my heart for all dogs. I had to put down dogs in 2008, 2009 and 2010, and have my fingers crossed the 2011 is the year we don't have to lose any of our pups.

My thoughts are with you, it's not easy. But it's a compassion we can show our loyal companions at the end of their lives.

9. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    What a difficult decision. So sorry.

10. sfw2

sfw2 Global Menace

[​IMG] to you for making that tough decision.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by