Putting down two hens with ruptured prolapsed vents - UNEXPECTED TWIST!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Lelilamom, Apr 7, 2017.

1. Lelilamom

Lelilamom Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2013
    I have two hens with prolapsed vents. A Red Sex Link and an Amber Rock. Both are four years old. The RSL has had the vent problem for over a year and each time, I give her a warm bath and gently push it back in and she bounces back to her sweet self and months go by without it returning. The AR had the issue earlier this winter and I gave her the same treatment and she too bounced back to her typical loud mouth self. Yesterday I noticed the AR had just a little bit of a bump but it was very cold and raining and I was hoping to hold her off until Sunday when it was going to be quite warm. I didn't even notice the RSL had an issue. Today I opened the coop to get eggs and there was blood splattered all over the poop boards. I panicked. I found the RSL racing around the chicken yard gobbling up treats with the other birds and her entire back end dripping blood and three large protrusions one of which was ruptured.. The AR had two large protrusions, one of which was ruptured. I'm heart broken.

I know the kindest and right thing to do is to put them both down. Everytime I think of what must be done I burst into tears. Despite these being working animals, I still love them to pieces.

2. SIMZ

SIMZ Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    Northwest Indiana
    I'm so sorry. This is the part of chicken keeping that I hate. You seem like a very good owner and I'm sure they've had a great life with you.

3. PraiseGod

PraiseGod Out Of The Brooder

Mar 26, 2017
    Heart in Jerusalem
    sorry to hear it. We got a baby Brahma with prolapse this year. She healed up after a bit. Completely normal now but I'm worried it will come back later in life. Hope it all goes smoothly...

4. Lelilamom

Lelilamom Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2013
    This morning I decided I couldn't put this off any longer and husband and I dug a hole, grabbed our sad gear and went out to do what we needed to do.
    The RSL was laying in a bed of leaves in the shade and I thought she had already passed, but when I reached for her she bolted and I had to chase her around the yard to catch her. Her backside was soaked in dried blood but the three masses were GONE!! Her vent looked completely normal. I washed the dried blood off her and checked her over and except for a what feels like an egg in her duct, she's normal. I released her back in the coop. She's moving around much slower than the others, but still eating and drinking.

The AR too had only one protrusion, and the other was gone. I washed her and soaked her in very warm water and pushed it back in. She's more swollen around her vent but she's acting completely normal. She's not even moving slowly. I released her back in the coop.

For now, we have an empty hole and we are quite happy about it.

1 person likes this.
  5. SIMZ

SIMZ Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    Northwest Indiana
    Well, well, well!!! I love stories like this! I bet you were and are totally thrilled! Yay!!

6. rescueallsorts

rescueallsorts New Egg

Mar 28, 2017
    I need a miracle like that right now

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by