1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Putting eggs in a nest

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by AliciaM, May 13, 2011.

1. AliciaM

AliciaM Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    Yelm Washington
    My 2 call girls are sitting on eggs that im almost positive are infertile.. I also have black east indie eggs in the incubator that have about 2 weeks to go...

I need advice on if I should put a couple of the BEI eggs in there nest.... Id love to see them with some babies... they are doing so good sitting.. and stealing each others eggs....

Also.. if I do this.. when is the best time to add the eggs??

Thanks.

2. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    Stealing each others eggs is not good- sometimes ( good eggs ) get left in between the two and chill resulting in the death of the duckling developing inside. If you do give them some eggs- swap over all the eggs- dont leave any unfertile ones behind that could be rotten- and explode. Night time is best- they settle quicker again after being disturbed.

3. AliciaM

AliciaM Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    Yelm Washington
    I ended up pulling 19 eggs from the ducks and replaced them with 6 BEI eggs...All 19 eggs were clear.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by