Putting eggs in lockdown today...question

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by QChickieMama, Aug 14, 2013.

1. QChickieMama

QChickieMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2011
    Today is 3 days before the calculated hatch date for my australorp eggs. As I transferred the eggs from the turner tray to the mat, one of the eggs chirped at me! Is this common? Does this mean it may hatch early, if all goes well?

2. culdesacfarm

culdesacfarm Out Of The Brooder

Aug 11, 2013
    I have never hatched eggs before, so take this with a grain of salt. I do think its ok. I have read that they do chirp before they hatch and that a chicken can be fertal (week) after being with a Roo. So Im thinking this is maybe the first egg that was fertal and started to grown before the others and is now chirping before the others. Like I said this is what I read and im just posting what I think =)

3. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    If it chirped at you it means the chick pipped internally and should progress to pipping externally and then hatching soon. I can't tell you when, but it sounds like you may have an early hatcher there, so keep the humidity high and the incubator closed now and keep an eye on that egg. Generally chicken eggs need to be incubated for 21 days before they are ready to hatch, but I've had eggs hatch from day 18 all the way through to day 25, under broody hens and in incubators. The average is 21 days though. Good luck with your hatch!

1 person likes this.
  4. chefchick

chefchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    I love it when the eggs peep at me! I just had a bunch of quail and chicken eggs hatch yesterday. I could hear a couple little peeps on Saturday when I put them in lock down. Get your brooder ready!

1 person likes this.
  5. QChickieMama

Oct 1, 2011
    Sure enough, there's a visible pip on that egg just now! Oh, boy. I'm excited but not ready with the brooder yet.

6. sumi

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Better get that brooder ready [​IMG] Good luck with the hatch and keep us posted!

7. chefchick

chefchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    [​IMG]

8. QChickieMama

Oct 1, 2011
    So, he's out! Earlier this afternoon. Strong and happy.

However, the egg next to him didn't make it. :-( I knew it had pipped, saw bits of shell on the mat, it was rocking back and forth. BUT, it was on the wrong side! Ugh. I'm so peeved. And sad. And tonight when I found it, it was still. Boo hoo.

9. sumi

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
  10. QChickieMama

Oct 1, 2011
    I have 16 eggs set.

One question: one of the chicks has this long nasty protrusion from its butt that's partly bloody, partly poopy-looking. What do I do about this?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by