Putting Eggs under a Broody Hen DAYS before hatching

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Reptigirl, Oct 4, 2011.

1. Reptigirl

Reptigirl Out Of The Brooder

Mar 13, 2011
    San Antonio, Tx
    I have a question... I have 2 Cochin hens that went broody on me.

1 Giant has been sitting on NO eggs for about the last 7-10 days. I had collected eggs for the day and that night she decided to "sit". She only gets off the nest once a day to eat and drink. Then she sits again. It is lined with feathers.

1 Bantam Cochin who started sitting this morning. LOL again collected all eggs and tried to "kick her out" since I don't want any more chicks for winter. But tonight she is in the nests.

Now i have 2 sets of Bantam Cochin eggs finishing up in the bator. One is due to go into lockdown TOMORROW and the other set goes into lockdown this weekend.

COULD I possibly put a set of NEARLY hatching eggs under each hen? The only reason I'm even considering this is I have had GREAT luck getting eggs to develop but I have had TERRIBLE luck at hatching time with humidity. I have only had about 40-50% of eggs hatch and LIVE. The set of 7 bantam eggs that goes into lockdown tomorrow is really important to me. I would love a great hatch. Do you think it's too much to ask to set them under the broody cochin and let he "hatch them"? Or will she notice that the eggs hatched TOO fast?

2. crazypetlady

crazypetlady Chillin' With My Peeps

I have read people doing it sucessfully on here some would rather have a broody finish than rely on the bator. Happy Hatching. I would take my eggs out of the bator in a heartbeat if I had a broody hen right now. I trust the hen more than the bator

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by