1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

putting grain away at night question

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by johndeerelover, Nov 24, 2013.

1. johndeerelover

johndeerelover Out Of The Brooder

Oct 7, 2013
    Carroll County Maryland
    I've heard of some people putting their grain feeder away at night to prevent mice/rats. My question is, now that it's cold weather, will the chickens be ok without it during the night? Do they never wake up for a snack? Also, is it critical that it be put out as soon as the sun is rising? Is it alright to put back out an hour past sunrise etc?

My chickens are locked in the coop at night. In the morning they are let into their hoop house run. They also free range when I'm outside.

thanks!

Last edited: Nov 24, 2013
  2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Chickens are night blind so they won't move when it's dark, therefor they don't need food or water during the night.

Chickens feel hungry when their crop is empty. It's empty when they wake up so want to eat right away. That said, they can handle an hour or more without food.

You said 'grain feeder'. Are you feeding just grain or a chicken feed?

Last edited: Nov 24, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  3. jetdog

jetdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2013
    Massachusetts
    I leave mine in the coop but I don't have a rat or mice problem. I put it an automatic door on a timer so there is no getting up to do so.My light comes on at 4:30 am but the door doesn't open until 6:45 I want them to have food to warm up in the morning, no water inside so it's a mad dash to the waterer when the door opens. Chickens are basically in a coma at night and don't move to much mine never leave the roost.

4. johndeerelover

johndeerelover Out Of The Brooder

Oct 7, 2013
    Carroll County Maryland
    yes I feed them a pellet feed for layers. thanks for the replies

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by