1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Putting ground up hot pepper in chicken feed.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by bledsoe95, Jan 10, 2011.

1. bledsoe95

bledsoe95 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2011
    Oakwood, Virginia
    I put ground up hot pepper in chicken feed & it makes them lay more eggs. I was only getting 3 eggs day & now after the pepper i get about 6-7 a day.[​IMG]

2. bledsoe95

bledsoe95 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2011
    Oakwood, Virginia
    Any1 else heard of this?

3. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    This "Great Discovery" was being circulated last winter, too. I decided, what the heck, I'll give it a try. I bought some Tai peppers from the grocery store, and took them home and ground them up in a blender (being careful to wear a dust mask, goggles, rubber gloves, and to do it outdoors) and I mixed it into the layer feed.

I did this all winter, and noticed absolutely no difference in the egg production.

However, the spilled pepper dust mixed in with the sand and dust in the pen and whenever I'd clean, I'd stir up the dust and the result would be violent sneezing, snot running out of my nose, and I'd tear up so badly, I could barely see.

The girls did, however, seem to appreciate the added spicy flavor to their normally bland feed.

4. Junkmanme

Junkmanme Chillin' With My Peeps

MAYBE it only works for "Cubalayas". Ha-Ha !!! (Those Cuban Chickens gotta have their Chiles...just like us "New Mexico Folks".)

Ha-Ha !!!

I've tried it with my Buff Orpingtons...and I think that it helped with the laying. But they are good layers anyway!

-Junkmanme- [​IMG]

5. KopyKat

KopyKat Out Of The Brooder

Mar 25, 2010
    Round Rock, Texas
    Thai peppers!!! Get a rope! No Thai peppers for my hens. Gotta be Jalapeno's, Serrano's or Chili's. Texas birds ain't gonna lay more eating those puny little peppers.

1 person likes this.
  6. Junkmanme

Junkmanme Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]

-Junkmanme- [​IMG]

7. Hollywood Chickens

Hollywood Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    Florida
    I read that it had to be cayenne pepper. I am going to try it since I am only getting 8 eggs a day from 20 hens!

8. OKbirdwatcher

OKbirdwatcher Out Of The Brooder

Apr 24, 2009
    NE Oklahoma
    Any guidance on how much to use?

Thanks!

9. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I recall an experienced chicken keeper on here saying he adds enough cayenne to make the feed look rusty. I just started doing this a couple of days ago, but I also added light a couple of days ago, as mine have just finished molting. We shall see.

10. sotelomary

sotelomary Chillin' With My Peeps

Another post said to get one of those big spice containers from Costco or Sams and to mix it into the 50lb. bag.

Mary

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by