Putting in a perch/roost for the littlies?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Nonny, Dec 22, 2011.

1. Nonny

Nonny Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    The girls are about a week old now, have nice little wing feather coming in, and I wondered whether now was a good time to introduce a low perch in there for them to use to jump off, or fly onto as a bit of exercise/fun.

I have an offcut here that looked like it would be perfect, but when I put it in they totally ignored it. Is it too soon? The wrong size?

[​IMG]

2. loupan

loupan Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2011
    newzealand
    Give them time o just put on two for my 3week olds and they love it [​IMG]

3. turbodog

turbodog Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2010
    Independence, La.
    They'll start sitting up on it eventually, don't worry.

4. whoaitsmike

whoaitsmike Out Of The Brooder

Oct 14, 2011
    Indiana
    I kept my babies under 24 hour watch the first two weeks, then i moved them to the coop. I just stuck stick and bricks in the coop, they were about 3 or 4 weeks when I started noticing poop then started seeing them on it.

5. jmtcmkb

jmtcmkb Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2011
    New Hampshire
    I think they will find it soon enough- mine learned to hop up on their ecoglow brooder after the first week. It was a learning effort, once one mastered it the others followed the lead.

6. jmtcmkb

jmtcmkb Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2011
    New Hampshire
    your light colored one is already on top of the feeder, soon enough she'll find the roost [​IMG]

7. azygous

azygous True BYC Addict

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Chicks are natural climbers. They'll be all over it in no time. That's a very cool perch, by the way. But maybe you want to start them off with something like a 4X4 block of wood - a wider base provides better stability and will foster confidence. I'd provide the block of wood in addition to the stick perch you have.

8. Fierlin1182

Fierlin1182 powered-flight

Aug 26, 2011
    We put one in the first chicks' brooder, but they weren't interested. Instead they used to fly onto the heat lamp and try squeeze out of the hole in the brooder roof. [​IMG]
    I'd put one in, but chances are they won't bother using it. Ours slept on the ground for a good couple of months before they started figuring out how to roost.

9. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    I used a 2x4, skinny side up and they loved it. When they fall asleep, their little heads hang low.
    [​IMG]

10. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    That is the most adorable picture I spit my coke all over my monitor laughing. It first fizzled up in my nose and off it went!!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by