Putting leaves in brooder?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by callen0912, Feb 13, 2015.

1. callen0912

callen0912 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2015
    I'm curious about bedding for my chicks. I remember reading somewhere that some people will put leaves in their hens nest boxes, and I was wondering if it's ok to put a pile of leaves in the brooder for them to curl up in? Or should I hold off?

2. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    How old are they? Are they eating well? The only concern I might have is that they might kick some of those leaves up onto the heat lamp. If that doesn't seem to be a concern, and they are eating well, I'd go for it. Just remember that leaves aren't as absorbent as shavings. I'ts important to keep that bedding dry.

3. callen0912

callen0912 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2015
    They are 2 days today. I still have paper towels over my shavings. And yes, they are eating and drinking beautifully. If it's more recommended it's no big deal, i just thought if it was something they would enjoy I would do it. Leaves are free anyway!

4. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    I've used leaves in my brooders and coops on several occasions (broke times, free bedding, what can I say?). The leaves seemed to do a better job in the brooder if I crumbled them first. Otherwise, poo would cake to them in the places they hang out the most (under the heat lamp and near the feeder and waterer). In the coop it didn't really matter, the bigger birds would shred them in no time flat. A lot of leaves collect along the fence of my run, I still collect them up and pitch them over the fence. Then I spread them around to muddy spots :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by