putting my winter silkie flock together- thoughts...

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by AHappychick, Sep 21, 2009.

1. AHappychick

AHappychick Wanna-be Farmer

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    ok so I have slimmed down in some places and expanded a bit in others. I know with LF that 11 hens to 1 roo is an ok number but is the roo to hen ratio the same with silkies?

In an effort to make my life easier I would like to put the following birds together but wonder if it is too many hens for just 2 roos. here is the list it is 13 hens with 2 roos on paper it seems like alot to me but....

hens

3 gray sg
    3 lav Silkies
    2 b/b SG
    1 spash silkie w/ lav gene
    3 buff silkies
    1 black silkie

Roos

Splash Silkie with lav gene
    Lavender Silkie

2. jimnjay

jimnjay Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Bryant Alabama
    In my experience Silkies do better with a smaller ratio roos to hens. In a book I have by Helga Fritzsche on raising bantams. She recommends 4 to 1. I now have 7 to 1 in my buff pen and there are some voids in the eggs I get. Sounds like you need a buff Roo. If you are going to work on Porcelain then the buff in with the Lavender roo should work.

If you want pure Grays, I don't see any roo that would help that bunch.

I would put the 3 Lav hens and the splash with the Lav gene together with the Lav Roo, and the rest all together in a different pen.

The pure Lavenders will garner a good price for eggs if you decide to sell any.

3. LilPeeps

LilPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    SE Mass
    You could just put them all together, but don't put the grey or buff in the pen with them. You'll basically have a bbs pen with the lav gene. Any of the offspring from either splash will be blue. If they (the splash het lav) bred with a lav, 50% will be het lav and 50% will be homozygous for lav. If they breed with a bird that's het lav, the offspring will be 50% non lav, 50% het lav, 25% homozygous lav. If they breed with a bird not carrying the gene, you'll get 50% non lav, 50% het lav.

As for the buff and grey, If you want to hatch pure offspring, you should get buff and grey males for them.

4. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Splash Silkie cock with lav gene X

gray sg = colour & pattern mess, 50% or 100% sg

lav Silkies = blue, 50% also lavender

2 b/b SG = ??? what do you mean by b/b ???

spash silkie w/ lav gene = splash, 25% also lavender (50% carrying a copy of lav, 25% without lav)

buff silkies = buffs w/ blue replacing black pigment, blues & mixes; half will carry a copy of lav

black silkie = blue, half carrying a copy of lav

Lavender Silkie cock X

gray sg = incomplete pattern for all offspring, may have mix of gold/silver gene sons, some daughters may be partridge and others grey, depends on the fathers S-alleles; 50% or 100% sg

lav Silkies = lavender

2 b/b SG = ??? what do you mean by b/b ???

spash silkie w/ lav gene = 50% lavender & blue, 50% blue carrying a copy of lav

buff silkies = buffs carrying a copy of lav

black silkie = black carrying a copy of lav

5. AHappychick

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    oh thanks guys, I do have a gray roo but thought I could re-home him since I know someone who likes him.

I realize that with out a buff roo I will hopefully get isabelle porceline with them, which is what I am hoping for, i like buff but cant do all of the different colors so this sort of gives me the best of both worlds.

the b/b sg ment blue and black show girl I was just being lazy.

I also realize that the grays will throw all sorts of colors but some may be carrying the lav gene as they are from Angie and I wanted to see if it would come out.

My biggest concern is fertility not so much the resulting colors I may get.

from what I am reading it looks like there might be too many hens for just 2 roos? with 13 hens and 2 roos

Last edited: Sep 21, 2009
  6. Sonoran Silkies

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Splash Silkie cock with lav gene X

black sg = blue, half carrying lav (you will not be able to tell which ones), 50% or 100% sg

blue sg = half blue, half splasj, half of each carrying lav (you will not be able to tell which ones), 50% or 100% sg

Lavender Silkie cock X

black sg = black carrying lav, 50% or 100% sg

blue sg = half blue, half black, all carrying lav, 50% or 100% sg

Since the buffs do not already carry lav, it will take two generations to get isabel/porcelain. Breed to the lavender; all the offspring will carry lav; breed back to the lavender and half will inherit two copies of lav.

7. AHappychick

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    Quote:cool, oh I am so excited [​IMG]

Sonoran do you think it will be too many hens per roo?

8. Sonoran Silkies

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    7 hens per cock is probably the upper limit.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by