Putting my younger birds in with the adults

Farmer413

Songster
6 Years
Dec 19, 2016
Massachusetts
I'm ready to put my younger chickens in with the older ones... I have one major concern.... The younger ones eat a food with a higher protein content than the adults.... Is it going to cause an issue switching them a little early? I really don't have a choice. They are to big for the area they are in now. What do most people do?

Thanks

Protein content isn't the issue when feeding chicks as long as it's at least 18%. Calcium content is an issue. If the feed is 1.3% calcium or below, you're good to go.

Many of us feed an all flock feed (20% protein) all the time to all ages, including layers who get oyster shell on the side for calcium.

Protein content isn't the issue when feeding chicks as long as it's at least 18%. Calcium content is an issue. If the feed is 1.3% calcium or below, you're good to go.

Many of us feed an all flock feed (20% protein) all the time to all ages, including layers who get oyster shell on the side for calcium.

What I have done in the past is used Dumor Chick Starter Feed (20%). Then moved to Dumor Grower/Finisher (15%). Then to Layer (16%). Now I can only use one since the birds are all together. I assume I can give them all Layer Feed with oyster shells on the side? They won't miss out on anything they need?

Thanks

Last edited:
They can all eat the Dunmore Chick Starter Feed, or Purina Flock Raiser, with oyster shells on the side for the older hens. You shouldn't switch the younger ones to Layer feed until they are laying. Too much calcium for them.

So I can feed the older ones layer... Feed the younger ones chick.... When I put them together they can all eat chick, but with oyster shells on the side for the adults. No problem skipping the grower/Finisher? Once they are all old enough switch them all to Layer? Then if I get more chicks just repeat the process?

Sorry. I may be over thinking this... but I want to do it right.

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom