putting new chickens with old after quarantine

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by heatherscreations1969, Nov 6, 2011.

1. heatherscreations1969

heatherscreations1969 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2011
    Derbyshire UK
    Ok so I have Three 17month old chickens which we have had for almost 8 months. We have just received 1 pullet and 1 roo (5 months old, brother and sister) and have quarantined them for 3 weeks.
    We let them all out together for the first time into the garden today, there has been some squabbling between the roo and our 3 older chickens but now they are on different ends of the garden ignoring each other (brother and sister down one end and our 3 girls up the other). How long does it normally take for them to settle down together? I know they have to establish pecking order, but how can they do that if they are avoiding each other lol.

2. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Funny story, Heather. Most of the time that scenario would have amounted to the older girls attacking the younger ones and making their lives miserable until they got used to each other. The fact that your young rooster defended himself is a good sign. Usually a young rooster must gain some maturity before he gets any respect from older established pullets or hens. Things will work out in time and he will be the "man". He`s certainly got a good start.......Pop

3. heatherscreations1969

Sep 14, 2011
    Derbyshire UK
    Cheers Pop! The young roo is going to be a big asset to our flock....once they get along that is.....I have been watching them all morning and even if a leaf blows into the yard the roo shouts to his sister to run for cover under the trampoline lol. When he matures he is going to be great at protecting the girls [​IMG]

The older 3 are currently still avoiding the newbie's, there was a bit of bloodshed first thing this morning so I think that's why they are keeping their distance.

*hugs* Heather x

Last edited: Nov 6, 2011
  4. heatherscreations1969

Sep 14, 2011
    Derbyshire UK
    Well it's day 2 and the older 3 hen's and the new roo and hen are still avoiding each other [​IMG] All day long they separate themselves to either end of the garden....it's funny watching them....trying to act as if the other group doesn't exist [​IMG]
    It seems like I have 2 separate flocks for now, even at night they are taking themselves to different coops [​IMG]

5. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Might take a few weeks for them to mingle. A lot depends on how fast the cockeral matures. As it is now, the older girls look on him with distain. Once he finds himself, he will rule........POP

6. ELLY1

ELLY1 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 23, 2012
    Walsall, West Midlands
    Hi I have 2 x battery chickens had them for one year, 1 died last week I want to get 4 more chickens of different breeds, will they get on with each orther, the other ones will be POL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by