1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Putting new chicks with older hens?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by countryfarmer19, Apr 10, 2012.

1. countryfarmer19

countryfarmer19 New Egg

Apr 9, 2012
    Just wanted to see if anyone has experiance with placing new chicks with olden hens, we are trying to hatch chicks and was wondering how long it takes before we should mix them in with the olden hens, is there any introductions we need to do so they don't hurt the chicks, any other information to help guide us in the right direction would be great. Thank you.

2. Coop de Grille

Coop de Grille Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2010
    South Carolina
    I put my brooder on the inside of the coop, where they could see each other. My coop is split into two sections with a chicken wire wall in between.

For the past 2 weeks my now 6 week olds have been on one side and my 3.5 month olds are on the other side. In the last two days I have been opening the door in between just enough so the littles can go onto the other side, but come back to their safe side when the bigger chicks chase them. (That is a tip I found on this forum!) The older ones will not let the littles out into the run though, we are still working on it. It is a process, and not a fast one lol.

I need to get them all used to each other because I have 2.5 week olds that need to go into the one side so we can start the process all over again.

3. Wigggy

Wigggy Out Of The Brooder

Dec 3, 2011
    Hdont even risk it I throught I wood do this and they cornered and killed all my birds it was awful wait till they are the same size

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by