Putting New Chics Where Old Ones Were

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by MeerKat, Apr 16, 2011.

1. MeerKat

MeerKat Out Of The Brooder

Apr 25, 2010
    I'm changing my chickens from Leggerns to BRs.

Our peeps are 3 weeks old now.I took out the hens in the pen and put them in another one.

Do I need to sterilize the pen for the peeps now?If so what do I use?

Thanks

2. MeerKat

Apr 25, 2010
    Thought I'd bump this up.

Could someone please tell me if I need to do anythign to the pen the older hens were in before I put the others in the coop or pen?

They are in the brooder now but soon they will go into the 8X30' pen.

There are 22 but will give roos away and keep the 10 BR hens.I think the roos are leggerns.They came with the hens to keep them warm while shipping.

3. ARose4Heaven

ARose4Heaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    Flippin, AR
    I think I read somewear that barn lime is good for cleaning a coop. I've never used it. I just sweep, dust, and repaint. That seems to seal out any creepy crawlers that might be left behind.

4. ARose4Heaven

ARose4Heaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    Flippin, AR
    Oh, just saw that you were also asking about the pen. I am assuming that by this you mean, the outdoor run. give it a good sprinkling with DE or Sevin, then let it set empty for a few weeks. The bright sunshine has a way of "sterilizing" dirt.

5. MeerKat

Apr 25, 2010
    Quote:Thanks .Paint would also look nicer than this old wood.We took the others out last week,we had to build nother pen for them.The little cannibals were pecking eech other so we had to build 3 seperate pens.Been doctoring them for months off and on until we seperated them.

Never had a pecking problem with the other leggerns we had.We will keep them for eggs,but changed to BR now.

sorry for bad spelling,fixed it.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2011
  6. MeerKat

Apr 25, 2010
    Quote:Thansk again,I have some of both.Will do that today.

7. WhetzelMomma

WhetzelMomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2009
    Canyonville
    Did you have disease? If you're just changing breeds, I'm not sure why you need to do anything? I'd clean and go for it, personally... I mean, in the "real" world, hen raised chicks aren't getting special treatment... Unless you're changing because you lost a flock to disease or infestation, I don't think you need to do anything.

8. MeerKat

Apr 25, 2010
    Quote:No the only problem we had was them pecking each other to where they lost feathers on their backs and butts.But we sold all but 3 after we seperated them and healed them up.Never had that problem before.We tried Vicks,antibiotic and only thing worked was seperating them.

Nothing like finding out the hard way if your not set up right too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by