Putting new roo with my hens

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by yellowflower, Jan 20, 2010.

1. yellowflower

yellowflower Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2009
    Bradford NH
    Hi, I just got a new roo, a mille fluer D' Uccle and I want to put my 2 porclain D'Uccle's with him after the quarenee time. Do I just put the girls in with him during the day? Or should I do it at night? I want to know what I'm doing when the time comes. Is there ever any problems introducing girls to a boy? Something I should watch for? Thanks!

2. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

The only problem you might have is if the rooster is not a mature cock and the girls are older than him. Strangers are always resented, but a mature cock will take charge and be the boss from the git go. A cockeral will have a rough life until he grows into maturity. If he`s younger that them, be sure he has room to run. Otherwise, it doesn`t make much difference when or how you do it.........Pop

3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Expect a bit of fussing when you do it. Somebody's bound to be unhappy for awhile; either the cockerel will be getting his butt whooped and he'll be unhappy or the hens aren't going to be happy about a young upstart showing up and trying to run the show. They'll get over it.

4. yellowflower

yellowflower Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2009
    Bradford NH
    Well, he is younger. He's supposed to be about 6 months and the girls are around 2 yrs old. I just feel bad with him being all alone. Do you think he will be warm enough on his own? He has a nice coop with lots of hay and shavings but one is a lonely number [​IMG]
    Thanks for your replies. Learn something everyday, especially when it comes to chickens LOL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by