Putting out traps.

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by harris farm, Oct 24, 2010.

1. harris farm

harris farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2010
    Louisiana
    Something has been taking my birds lately so I went out and bought some traps. I hung some chicken thighs about 3 ft off the ground and set the trap under the chicken. First night was a big raccoon. Second night was a opossum. I can't wait till I catch a coyote or a bobcat. Has anyone tried this method of catching predators?

2. bburn

bburn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2010
    Delaware, Arkansas
    No, but bought traps last week. Have not had issues yet except with hawks checking out the setup. They have not managed to get in yet and if they do they can't spread their wings and fly out!

But I am ready if the traps are needed. Plus, coops and runs are outside my bedroom window, 22 under the bed and no screen on the window so I can at least get off a shot if needed.

Would rather not but will if needed.

3. harris farm

Aug 8, 2010
    Louisiana
    Quote:Someone told me u can put a 4x4 post in the ground and mount a trap to the top with a piece of meat on the trap or leave it empty so when the hawk lands on the post its trapped.

4. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    Quote:There are numerous ways to catch predators.Sounds like your on a roll. Hope your using a # 4 trap. A coyote or bobcat will pull out of a small trap. You can use a hook & dangle the meat from it to catch predators.

5. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    I did not know hawks will enter a trap. My tiny trap has a hook that you can attach things to.My larger trap I just put a plate of food in it and covered the top and sides.

6. harris farm

Aug 8, 2010
    Louisiana
    Its the traps that are called leg traps. they are oval shaped with a pad in the middle. when stepped on it grabs their foot.

7. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    Quote:Yes !!!

8. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    Someone told me u can put a 4x4 post in the ground and mount a trap to the top with a piece of meat on the trap or leave it empty so when the hawk lands on the post its trapped.

Did they also tell you that you can go to jail for that, and pay LARGE fines?​

9. theFox

theFox Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2009
    Standish, Maine
    Quote:Did they also tell you that you can go to jail for that, and pay LARGE fines?

Not only that, in some states it is illegal to use traps on posts.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by