putting peafowl eggs under broody hen update

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by piecemaker, Jun 20, 2009.

1. piecemaker

piecemaker Songster

Feb 12, 2008
    Centerville Texas
    Ok I have 17 peafowl eggs in the bator put them in on the May 29. Then guess what now I have not one but two broody chickens. [​IMG] My question is can I replace the eggs under the hens with the peafowl eggs? [​IMG] If so do I do it all at once or do I swap a few eggs at a time? I would rather hatch the eggs with the hens. I am not big on the brooder thing. [​IMG]
    Thanks for the help
    [​IMG]
    piecemaker

well put the eggs under the girls last night. As I put each egg in the nest the RRI would roll them under her as fast as she could.
    Thanks guy for the help
    piecemaker

Last edited: Jun 21, 2009
  2. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Yes all at once, best at night. Also check and may sure she accept them.

3. piecemaker

piecemaker Songster

Feb 12, 2008
    Centerville Texas
    Thanks deerman. Will put them under the hens tonight. Will I know in the moring if she will take them or does it take afew days for her to decide

piecemaker

4. CAranchgirl

CAranchgirl In the Brooder

Apr 7, 2009
    Most broody hens will be very happy to have eggs and will continue sitting on them. I gave peafowl eggs to one of mine with no problems, and I also did it at night. Are there eggs under them now? It should be no problem to swap them all out and put the peafowl eggs under them. They won't know the difference! Good luck!

5. JewellFarm

JewellFarm Songster

Apr 22, 2009
    Lebanon, Virginia
    17 Peafowl eggs is alot for two hens tho. You better make sure they can cover them well.

6. Debbienmousey

Debbienmousey Songster

The hens should accept the eggs fine. I often swap eggs with my broodies. Lol, they even get tricked by golf balls. Our current batch of eggs under a broody has so far seen 3 broodies. The black which did most of the work but then went bad, the banty mix, and now the Columbian Wyandotte, which will hopefully be a good mom (Eggs are due to hatch on the 22nd)

I've had a hen hatch guinea eggs too. Just make sure once the babies hatch that they can and are understanding Mom. (I've heard some poultry, actually ducks, may have a hard time under standing chicken lingo?)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: