Putting plants in coop for winter....

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by arockkid, Aug 11, 2011.

1. arockkid

arockkid Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2011
    Buffalo NY
    I was thinking of putting some outdoor plants that have a slim shot of lasting through winter outdoors in my chicken coop....not in with the chickens themselves but the storage area....I thought the few extra degrees will ensure their survival....but might they create too much humidity with watering? And will that make it harder on the chickens? I'm sure I can find an alternative, but if this would be a win/win, making the air quality better with the co2/oxygen, that would be great.

2. justbugged

justbugged Head of the Night Crew for WA State

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    I would try it this year with some plants that you can afford to lose. That way you will have a better chance of knowing how it will work out.

3. Chemguy

Chemguy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2011
    Springfield, Ohio
    It's true that plants will exchange oxygen for CO2, but they need to be growing, which means sunlight and warmth in addition to H2O. Also the amount of O2 a houseplant, or even a huge group of houseplants, produces is not that large and isn't likely to make much of a difference if your coop is well ventilated.

4. arockkid

arockkid Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2011
    Buffalo NY
    That part of the coop does get sufficient sunlight....or as much as a Buffalo winter provides. And I'm not concerned if they DON'T make it, because odds are, they won't if left outside anyway. I just know I got some 'annuals' to make it through the winter indoors. So if I could save a little cash in the spring, it'd be worth a try.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by