putting plastic around my open coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by betty105, Nov 24, 2012.

1. betty105

betty105 New Egg

Nov 24, 2012
    This is my first experience with my two chickens, and our first winter together in Northeastern Ohio. I want to put plascit around the open areas to keep them out of the wind and snow for the winter. Any suggestions? I have an electric waterer, a small roost and nest area at the top of the coop. Inside there i have a red heat light and have a "lizard" light inside the open area for light on these short days.

2. Jakoda

Jakoda Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2012
    Old Lyme CT
    I did this with my parts of my run, of course my 'coop' doesn't look like the below pic at the moment, the storm leveled the entire right side (from the window over) when two trees fell on it:( Anyhow, I bought some heavy duty clear shower curtain liners, and stapled them to the back of the run under the roof area, and will do the same in the front of the run again, under the roof areas. Something I would caution you about, using a 'heat lamp' can be quite dangerous as in "fire":( I'm not using heat, and my chickens seem to be just fine so far..I'd suggest just really packing their coop with hay/shavings for good insulation..As for lights, I am using batterie powered lights that have timers (qvc.com sells them as xmas lights),,I have them come on at around noon , and they go off at 6 pm, since the timer is 6 hours..
    [​IMG]

This is what my coop looks like now, until the insurance check comes in, at which time my husband will rebuild and actually I'm going to make the chicken area MUCH bigger...The part that is left was/is the chicken area I think what saved it, is a loft I had ,,but it needs to be torn down as the walls are not in line with the roof:((( but will suffice for now.

[​IMG]

3. betty105

betty105 New Egg

Nov 24, 2012
    So sorry about your coop! We moved ours up next to the house when the storm came to keep it safe. Having it be portable is the best! My heat bulb is one used for lizards incased in glass and mounted on the top so it should be ok. It is not very warm actually, but should be just enough for our cold winters here. I am also using times for both the lights and the heat bulb. Thanks so much for your advice on the plastic!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by