Putting plastic on cement floor

jdennysgirl

Chirping
15 Years
Jun 22, 2008
Our coop will be in a shed with a cement floor in our pump house. It will have the usual door for getting in and out of the whole shed then inside will be a screen door leading into the coop portion of the shed. My question is, can I use some sort of plastic such as visqueen, (sp.) (the stuff contractors use to cover doorways when they are working to stop the dust from spreading) to lay over the cement, then put pine pellets or pine bedding on top of that? My thinking is that when I get ready to change the bedding, I can roll up the plastic with all the wasted in it and just take it out the door and rid of it. Then I can add more plastic and more pine pellets or bedding and start over. Does this sound feasible or not? Just trying to find an easy way to keep things tidy. Any other ideas welcome. Thanks.

I see your point of being able to gather all the soiled pine chips easily and dispose of it in one shot without slowly shoveling it out or sweeping. i think the plastic would be perfect for that. I doubt you would try to lift up a heavy roll of linoleum each time you dump the floor. So i think plastic as a temporary underlayment is perfect for what you are asking.... which is to be able to clean it all out more easily.

Last edited:
It's a good idea and might work, however, the chicken's instinct is to scratch at the ground so it's possible you may wind up with shredded parts of the plastic and your chickens could ingest this plastic. The only thing I can think of along those lines would be a heavy rubber mat, but even that might eventually get torn up. (but I think it might take a few months)

If you are cleaning out your coop more often than every couple months you should be fine then.

Using a pump house as a chicken coop is definately not a good idea... It creates a health HAZARD for your drinking water !!! Check out your building codes as to how far away your well must be for ANY animal housing.

The hens will rip that plastic and possibly get ill- like the rest, I'd suggest a base- possibly some plywood and then vinyl or linoleum. You also may be in violation of local codes by putting the chickens in there- codes related to water supply...sorry

I tried this same thing on a smaller scale- put it in the dog house the ducks use with shavings on top. It worked ok...but I have since found a better method. I now use a "utility mat"...the grey, rubber backed, indoor outdoor kind you use in the garage or on the porch-you can hose it off and it is a little bit absorbent so the liquid doesnt run off like on the visqueen. not sure how big your area is, but the mats come in sizes up to 4 x 6...maybe bigger some places...

Back
Top Bottom