Putting purchased 10 day old chicks with home hatched 10 day old chick

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by james w, Apr 23, 2009.

1. james w

james w Out Of The Brooder

Nov 6, 2007
    Lucca, Italy
    Last week I hatched 22 chicks (well 15 in the incubator and 7 from a hen). I gave the hen 10 to look after and so I have 12 in a brooder. I also purchased 5 chicks large breed chicks in line with my breeder program and in order to introduce some new blood into the flock.

I generally quarantine new birds when I am offered them or purchase before integrating them with the main flock.

Would it be sensible to do the same with the chicks or are there less problems mixing purchased and home raised chicks?

2. Bantam Bodon

Bantam Bodon Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2009
    Osceola Mills PA
    Well disease wise its the same problem, but as for getting along with one another, its easier to do it now. The true pecking order really doesn't begin til later. Do it at night while they are sleeping and as long as they're the same size you should be ok.

3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Just pray the purchased ones don't have some disease.

4. james w

Nov 6, 2007
    Lucca, Italy
    The chicks come from a reliable source and I have not had previous problems with chickens or guinea fowl purchased from this breeder.

I will of course inspect them and perhaps give each a sprinkle of DE just to be on the safe side.

5. Mahonri

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Wow, just noticed where you are posting from... it's gotta be almost afternoon in Italy!

6. james w

Nov 6, 2007
    Lucca, Italy
    Just coming upto midday. 11:40am to be precise and it's hot.

7. Mahonri

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Wow and its 2:45AM here. Temp is 73F working its way up to 93F by 4PM our time. (93 here in Phoenix isn't considered hot... just warm)

8. james w

Nov 6, 2007
    Lucca, Italy
    I lived in Wichita Falls for 2 years from 2005 to 2007 and I experienced a whole new kind of heat. Nothing compares. I am sure Phoenix is even hotter. We tend to get into the mid 30s ( celsius of course) by the summer.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by