Putting recuperated hen back in the coop in hot weather

Country4ever

Songster
12 Years
Oct 26, 2007
Hi all,
One of my easter-eggers that survived a coon attack 3 and 1/2 weeks ago is doing very well. she lost a large area of skin on her back, which formed a scab and yesterday the scab fell off.
I will re-introduce her back to the flock slowly, but will first put her in a crate in the coop. My concern is: she's been in air conditioning for all this time. the coop will be in the upper 80's during the day. Is that going to be too much of a shock to her?
I don't know how to avoid it, unless I wait until cooler weather to put her back out there. I hate keeping her from the flock much longer.
Do you think she'll be okay, as long as she's shaded and has lots of water?
Thanks.

My advice would be to ween her into it. Basically take her out to the other chickens in a separate cage and make sure she has food and water and shade. Put her out for an hour the first day and then take her back inside where there is no air-conditioning. Repeat that maybe for 4-5 days and then she should be alright to introduce back to the flock. Good Luck!

Thanks Cheery Cluck,
I don't have any place in the house without a.c. and don't have a garage.
Do you think it would kill her to be in an 80's coop when she's used to a.c.? I'm not sure bringing her in and out of the a.c. would be good for her.
I just didn't know how much of a shock to a chicken's system it would be to go from 74 all the time to the 80's. Maybe I'm just worrying too much.

Back
Top Bottom