1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

putting rocks/marbles in water bowls

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by grullablue, Feb 8, 2009.

1. grullablue

grullablue Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Madison, Wisconsin
    When we raised chicks last spring, they were already a week old when we got them, so I introduced them straight to a small waterer. We are ordering day-olds this year, so I'm wondering about what I've read about putting rocks or marbles in their water to keep them from drowning themselves. Is this just for the first couple days, or how long?

Angie

2. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Quote:I generally do it for a week or so and then have a small chick sized waterer.

3. ghulst

ghulst Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2008
    Zeeland Michigan
    If you use chick waterers you don't need to do that.

4. grullablue

Feb 27, 2008
    Madison, Wisconsin
    Oh...I see. I do have a little chick waterer. Just the little "mason jar" type waterer. I was thinking I'd not be able to use that at first....but the surface area is small, and it of course isn't deep, so I'm safe using it for day-olds then?

Angie

5. digitS'

digitS' Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2007
    ID/WA border
    Angie, I continue to keep pebbles in the water until they are past that awkward stage where they fall over and have some trouble getting back up - a couple weeks.

I had a chick drown upside down in one of those mason jar waterers. He wasn't really under the water but he couldn't get out. That was years ago but you only need to have that experience once to become a "pebbles in the water" person.

Steve

6. chicken_dude

chicken_dude Out Of The Brooder

Feb 7, 2009
    Its rare for standard size chicks to drown even day old. I have had some bantams pheasants and quail drown.

7. baldie

baldie Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2008
    Douglas, MA
    digitS' :

Angie, I continue to keep pebbles in the water until they are past that awkward stage where they fall over and have some trouble getting back up - a couple weeks.

I had a chick drown upside down in one of those mason jar waterers. He wasn't really under the water but he couldn't get out. That was years ago but you only need to have that experience once to become a "pebbles in the water" person.

Steve

That happened to me once also. What happened is it's feather's got so wet it couldn't get out. It was a day old chick. [​IMG]

8. grullablue

Feb 27, 2008
    Madison, Wisconsin
    Thank you for the input! I see it's better to be safe than sorry.... so I'll do it anyway!

Angie

9. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    Good idea Angie. If in doubt, err on the side of caution. Personally, I don't use it for large fowl chicks. For bantams, pheasant, quail and turkeys, I always use the marbles.

10. wings

wings Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2009
    Massachusetts
    I had a chick waterer and used it with my twelve standard sized chicks when they were two days old. We never had a problem.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by