Putting Roo back in with Hens..advice please?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by The Chicken People, Oct 12, 2009.

1. The Chicken People

The Chicken People Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Smithville, Mo
    Okay I seperated my roo from his girls because he was gonna be dinner..now I wanna keep him for breeding in the Spring! Winter is coming and I cant keep him in the small coop by himself...when and how should I put him back in with the girls? at night I thought I would let them free range together and go to roost together..will this work?

2. The Chicken People

May 4, 2009
    Smithville, Mo
    Okay so I think I will try this and see if it works...

3. Uppity Peon

Uppity Peon Chillin' With My Peeps

I had my rooster Puff Daddy in jail for a little while. This was because he was a little older than the girls and very randy, and they were not ready for it. When I let him out again, it didn't go badly at all. He has some qualities that I really like. He's a food sharer and a flock defender.

4. Roy

Roy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2007
    Central Illinois
    He might be a bit aggressive towards you or the rest of the flock. Might want to keep an eye on him for awhile...

5. Lund121671

Lund121671 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2009
    Wisconsin
    I remove every roo we own from all of our breeding pens in late spring and I just put most of them back in this weekend. There is no reel trick to it (just open pen and put him in) of coarse he is going to try and breed them all within minutes, but this is what roos do.

6. journey11

journey11 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2009
    WV
    I am in the exact same situation and wondering the same. I thought I'd try letting him free range with the girls today and see if they all head for bed peacably. It's too cold for him to be by himself now, and he is very pretty and not a good meat bird. I thought I'd give him a chance to see if he'll behave himself. I hate to inflict him upon the girls because they've all been so happy and getting along well. And it's nice that my toddler can approach the flock without fear of getting flogged. In his favor, he is very alert to danger and should do a very good job looking after the girls. I am going to give him a chance and see how he does...

7. The Chicken People

May 4, 2009
    Smithville, Mo
    I do worry about his aggressive behavior towards my grandson but that can be stopped by a sharp axe if need be...I think I will let them all out earlier tonight to give him a chance to wear himself out!

8. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    LOL my girls beat the living tar out of each new roo until he agrees to be their food searcher only.

9. journey11

journey11 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2009
    WV
    Chicken People, how did your roo do? I was just curious if you got a happy ending or not. My roo after about a 2 week trial period is headed for the stock pot. He had mainly just harrassed my 3 brahma hens (older than the rest of the girls) to the point that they didn't want to come outside and range, but today I found one badly beat up and cowering in a corner. Can't have that! He's done for...

10. The Chicken People

May 4, 2009
    Smithville, Mo
    Well it worked ...But he tried to flog my 17 month old Grandson twice sooo...He fed us two nights of Dinner!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by