Putting shipped chicks under broody silkie?

Jan 27, 2022
DFW, Texas
Good evening! My silkie happened to go broody exactly 21 days before my hatchery ordered chicks will arrive. She's sitting on fake eggs and I want to slip a few of them in for her to raise. Shes already hatched and raised chicks before and was an excellent mom. From reading prior posts on this subject and instructions on care of mail order chicks I should immediately dip chicks beak in 98°water, under a 100° heat lamp, then after dark that evening slip the 6 chicks I want her to raise under her? I ordered 30 chicks total and would raise the rest myself. She is so determined to be a mom I thought I'd let her again except without the risk of more roos. Your advice on the procedure for this is much appreciated!

You've got it down, for the most part.

I don't know where you got the "dip chicks beak in 98°water", lol. The temperature does not matter, as long as it's not hot or cold.

How old will the chicks be when they arrive at your house?

It's best to slip the chicks in at night, make sure there is no flashlight shining anywhere. Depending on the size of your silkie, I'd slip 4-5 chicks under her if she's a bantam silkie, or 7-9 if she's a standard sized silkie.

Are the chicks going to be bantams or standards?

When you slip them under her, take out the fake eggs.

Good luck! Let us know how it goes!

You've got it down, for the most part.

I don't know where you got the "dip chicks beak in 98°water", lol. The temperature does not matter, as long as it's not hot or cold.

How old will the chicks be when they arrive at your house?

It's best to slip the chicks in at night, make sure there is no flashlight shining anywhere. Depending on the size of your silkie, I'd slip 4-5 chicks under her if she's a bantam silkie, or 7-9 if she's a standard sized silkie.

Are the chicks going to be bantams or standards?

When you slip them under her, take out the fake eggs.

Good luck! Let us know how it goes!
I'm ordering from Cackle hatchery and they have a care video for their chicks that is very detailed down to the temp of the water lol.
My silkie is a bantam, the chicks are standard size and she raised 5 standard size chicks last time until 8wks,
Their hatch date is March 14th and delivery said to be 15th-17th, so 1-3 days old.
I've ordered several different breeds but dont know which I'll trust to her yet...the smallest, cheapest brreed/s I suppose
I know It won't be the brahamas. Ameracaunas, or marans.

I'm ordering from Cackle hatchery and they have a care video for their chicks that is very detailed down to the temp of the water lol.
My silkie is a bantam, the chicks are standard size and she raised 5 standard size chicks last time until 8wks,
Their hatch date is March 14th and delivery said to be 15th-17th, so 1-3 days old.
I've ordered several different breeds but dont know which I'll trust to her yet...the smallest, cheapest brreed/s I suppose
I know It won't be the brahamas. Ameracaunas, or marans.
Oh, okay. Cackle seems to have some great information, and some not-very-accurate information, lol. Temperature, IMO, doesn’t matter as long as it’s not too hot/cold.

Good luck!

Last year I had a Crested Cream Legbar go broody that I had over eggs. The hatching didn't turn out so well, but I got some babies at TSC and put them under her. No problems, and she raised them all the way up. Side benefit is that she became a bit less flighty afterwards.

My silkie is a bantam, the chicks are standard size and she raised 5 standard size chicks last time until 8wks
Where are you located? How cold will it be? In warmer weather it doesn't matter but in colder weather a hen needs to be able to cover all of them at the same time. They grow pretty fast. If you are going to be having cold weather I'd put fewer.

Where are you located? How cold will it be? In warmer weather it doesn't matter but in colder weather a hen needs to be able to cover all of them at the same time. They grow pretty fast. If you are going to be having cold weather I'd put fewer.
I"m in the DFW area of Texas. So I"m hoping the worst winter weather is behind us but I'll bring them in if needed to help her out. She will for sure be helping me🙂

Good evening! My silkie happened to go broody exactly 21 days before my hatchery ordered chicks will arrive. She's sitting on fake eggs and I want to slip a few of them in for her to raise. Shes already hatched and raised chicks before and was an excellent mom. From reading prior posts on this subject and instructions on care of mail order chicks I should immediately dip chicks beak in 98°water, under a 100° heat lamp, then after dark that evening slip the 6 chicks I want her to raise under her? I ordered 30 chicks total and would raise the rest myself. She is so determined to be a mom I thought I'd let her again except without the risk of more roos. Your advice on the procedure for this is much appreciated!
Update:
I got my chicks Tuesday afternoon and followed your advice. I slipped 3 chicks under her Wednesday morning just before sunrise and took the fake eggs out. She sat on the nest for 2 more days and finally came out today (Friday). The chicks were already using a waterer and feeder (because they were in the brooder with the rest of the chicks til Wed.), so I set some up close to the nesting box. Even though she didnt leave the nest, they did to eat and drink the second day and would run back under her to warm up. They all seem to be doing well and hapoy🙂thank you for your help!
20220316_173409.jpg
20220318_105651.jpg

Back
Top Bottom