Putting Silkies in the mix...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ThatsCluckedup, Feb 12, 2012.

1. ThatsCluckedup

ThatsCluckedup Out Of The Brooder

Feb 8, 2012
    North Carolina
    I was wanting to have a few Rhode Island Reds this year and maybe some Plymouth Rocks. But would silkies go good into the mix? i dont want to wake up one mornin and find my silkies dead. What breeds get along with silkies? Im wanting to use the silkies as my brooders and also for shows, but i need to know first if it be a good choice or not to add them to the flock..?

2. GARYZZ1

GARYZZ1 Out Of The Brooder

May 15, 2011
    I HAVE 2 SILKIES IN WITH 12 COMETS 1 RIR AND 6 EE`s(2ee rooster`s) AND THEY ALL GET ALONG.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2012
  3. ThatsCluckedup

ThatsCluckedup Out Of The Brooder

Feb 8, 2012
    North Carolina
    thank you [​IMG] i didnt know if they were gonna be bullied by the others or not.

4. Beka123

Beka123 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 31, 2012
    I had 6 silkies first and then added 3 barred rocks to the mix, my rooster silkie had to let the BRs know he was boss, but I don't know how the silkie girls and barred rocks rank themselves, I've never seen a single fight among them. They seem to be doing better than I could have expected. :)

1 person likes this.
  5. stone_family3

stone_family3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Ohio
    I have 10 chickens and they are all mixed together in the coop. No problems at all except for the first few days (they didn't accept the Olive egger, but had no problems with the silkie).

My birds are:
    Silkie roo
    Cochin Bantam Roo
    Cochin Bantam Hen
    Olive egger
    Blue Egger
    Sex Link
    New Hampshire
    Black Australorp
    Millie Fleur D'uccle Bantam
    Dutch Mix bantam

6. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    There may or may not be problems. The pecking order is just that. If they are raised together you will have a better chance of harmonious existence. Also the greater the space available the greater the chance of success. Frequently because of their smaller size and diminished vision silkies are on the bottom of the pecking order.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by