Putting the calls in with the rest???

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by agregg15, Dec 4, 2011.

1. agregg15

agregg15 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2011
    Connecticut
    I was wondering if I could put my calls in with the rest of the ducks to make it easier in the winter. I'm only concerned by the fact that the WH are 3-4 times bigger than them and if they get into a scrabble that a call may get seriously injured or die, my WH drake may try to mate with one of the ducks and crush them, and my mallards (exempting Ducky who is very welcoming to other ducks) are (for lack of a better word) brats. I'm edging on no for this, but I am a worry wart.

2. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    That does sound like a tough call. I don't know as the WH would crush them but I suppose there could be a chance of injury. have you ever had the chance to watch them free ranging together?

3. agregg15

Apr 8, 2011
    Connecticut
    scratch'n'peck :

That does sound like a tough call. I don't know as the WH would crush them but I suppose there could be a chance of injury. have you ever had the chance to watch them free ranging together?

I actually did that this morning. The others obviously picked on them establishing their dominance and drove them into a corner and would chase them off if they got to close. Another thing I'm worried about is if Bauble (my call drake) and one of my larger drakes started to fight.​

4. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    I have runner ducks and pekins in the same area and although they don't fight, it does seem that the Pekins can prevent the smaller runners from getting to the food, so I have to put out multiple food bowls.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2011
  5. agregg15

Apr 8, 2011
    Connecticut
    scratch'n'peck :

I have runner ducks and pekins in the same area and although they don't fight, it does seem that the Pekins can prevent the smaller runners from getting to the food, so I have to put out multiple food bowls.

If I am going to put them in together then I will put out separate food and water dishes.​

6. farmdude

farmdude Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2009
    NE Wisconsin
    I'd keep and eye on them and split them up before breeding season starts. Good luck.

7. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    I'd be somewhat concerned given the substantial size difference between the breeds. If they have access to a swimming area, there is also the possibility of the larger drakes drowning the calls while either fighting or attempting to mate.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by