Putting the netting up over my run

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by rhino1, Dec 10, 2016.

1. rhino1

rhino1 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 28, 2015
    around Savannah, GA
    [​IMG][/IMG

A few weeks ago I am pretty sure a hawk got one of my hens. I bought some poultry netting and figured I would cover the run. I've most of it covered. Now I'm just hoping I don't find an owl or anything tangled up in it.

2. rhino1

Feb 28, 2015
    around Savannah, GA
    [​IMG]

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    If it is very light(flimsy) netting preds may hit it hard enough to break through.

4. rhino1

Feb 28, 2015
    around Savannah, GA
    It seems fairly tough. The ground is pretty rough and I was pulling on it when it was snagging on things. No tears. Who knows. I don't have any huge hawks. But I'm hoping this will deter them. We will see.

5. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota
    Looks good. I would make a "cross" instead of letting the net sit on the cross. It spreads the weight out and if an Owl hits it it does not give so much.

Before I did that I would find a headless bird now and then with feathers in the netting..

I thought I had a picture but cannot find it.

What I do is take a 2x4 and push it up the pole as far as I can spreading the weight out over a larger area.

I will try to get a picture tomorrow.

6. rhino1

Feb 28, 2015
    around Savannah, GA
    Ok, I am going to get in there and put some 2x4s on the tops of the trees I cut down. I'm thinking about putting their coops in here.

7. rhino1

Feb 28, 2015
    around Savannah, GA

8. rhino1

Feb 28, 2015
    around Savannah, GA
    Well, back to the drawing board. Something did the same thing, under the netting.

9. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota
    Was the body there? what it look like? Where was the injury?

I see you have 2x3 square welded wire fence a lot of nasty critters can get through that. The war continues for you. Good luck on whatever you do.

I have the bottom of my fence covered with 1/2 inch hardware cloth. I still need to trap, shoot and use voodoo dolls to try and keep stuff out. A sad fact of life is every nasty critter in the world likes chicken.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2016
  10. rhino1

Feb 28, 2015
    around Savannah, GA
    It's just like the last time. Most of the body was still there. A lot of the feathers pulled out. The head was gone. And something came back the next day and got into it again. The first time I put a trail camera out and 2 hawks landed the next day and fed off it firat, then a buzzard, then a opossum that night. We don't have weasels or anything that should be able to get thru the wire. Out main predators will be raccoons, hawks, opossum, bobcats, and maybe a fox. But ivthinkvits happening during the day

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by