Putting the netting up over my run

rhino1

In the Brooder
Feb 28, 2015
around Savannah, GA
[/IMG

A few weeks ago I am pretty sure a hawk got one of my hens. I bought some poultry netting and figured I would cover the run. I've most of it covered. Now I'm just hoping I don't find an owl or anything tangled up in it.

It seems fairly tough. The ground is pretty rough and I was pulling on it when it was snagging on things. No tears. Who knows. I don't have any huge hawks. But I'm hoping this will deter them. We will see.

Looks good. I would make a "cross" instead of letting the net sit on the cross. It spreads the weight out and if an Owl hits it it does not give so much.

Before I did that I would find a headless bird now and then with feathers in the netting..

I thought I had a picture but cannot find it.

What I do is take a 2x4 and push it up the pole as far as I can spreading the weight out over a larger area.

I will try to get a picture tomorrow.

Looks good. I would make a "cross" instead of letting the net sit on the cross. It spreads the weight out and if an Owl hits it it does not give so much.

Before I did that I would find a headless bird now and then with feathers in the netting..

I thought I had a picture but cannot find it.

What I do is take a 2x4 and push it up the pole as far as I can spreading the weight out over a larger area.

I will try to get a picture tomorrow.

Was the body there? what it look like? Where was the injury?

I see you have 2x3 square welded wire fence a lot of nasty critters can get through that. The war continues for you. Good luck on whatever you do.

I have the bottom of my fence covered with 1/2 inch hardware cloth. I still need to trap, shoot and use voodoo dolls to try and keep stuff out. A sad fact of life is every nasty critter in the world likes chicken.

Last edited:
It's just like the last time. Most of the body was still there. A lot of the feathers pulled out. The head was gone. And something came back the next day and got into it again. The first time I put a trail camera out and 2 hawks landed the next day and fed off it firat, then a buzzard, then a opossum that night. We don't have weasels or anything that should be able to get thru the wire. Out main predators will be raccoons, hawks, opossum, bobcats, and maybe a fox. But ivthinkvits happening during the day

Back
Top Bottom