putting together a first aid kit

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by WthrLady, Aug 7, 2014.

1. WthrLady

WthrLady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2014
    WestOak, Nebraska
    Planning ahead for the coop we are building in October and the little ladies that will be joining us.

I want to put together a first aid kit with supplies, and quick notes for treatment. Also long term notes like apple cider vinegar in the drinking water and how much.... That sort of thing.

So, things to put in the box and things for the notes and for the shed shelf, like corid......

Start filling the thread and help me out [​IMG]

Gauze
    Tweezers
    Scissors
    Non-adhesive wrap
    Scalpel
    Q-tips
    Antibiotic gel (what kind)

Keep going...... what else?

Last edited: Aug 7, 2014
  2. Celizwalsh

Celizwalsh Chillin' With My Peeps

hmmm ... maybe some vetericyn or some of that no peck cream. Also some of those powdered electrolytes and an eye dropper. I know there are also alot of people who tube feed if they have an injured chicken so you could get the tubing and other stuff for that. Another thing you could do is have a small cage or quarantine area ready in case you would need to seperate an injured chicken. I am glad you started this thread because I have been wanting to make a chickie first aid kit as well [​IMG]

3. WthrLady

WthrLady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2014
    WestOak, Nebraska
    Thank you... keep 'em coming!

I'd rather have it and not need it..... am way too far from a vet or a feed store

Something for a splint?

4. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

Yes, Corid, absolutely. I keep it on hand all the time, especially with chicks.

A good antibiotic ointment is plain Neosporin. It's good to have some plain saline for flushing wounds and maybe some Betadine as well. Blu Kote to cover up wounds so the others aren't attracted to pecking them.

5. Celizwalsh

Celizwalsh Chillin' With My Peeps

My dog had a run in with a bee this afternoon which resulted in a visit to the vet for a shot of benadryl. This got me thinking ... maybe benadryl would be a good addition to your first aid kit.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by