1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

putting two baby flocks together

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by zstewart123, Mar 10, 2012.

1. zstewart123

zstewart123 In the Brooder

Jan 30, 2012
    St Amant ,Louisiana
    I have 3- 8 week Barred Rocks and 6-2 week mixed bunch of biddies. I let the biddies out in the yard while I cleaned their brooder and just to see what would happen, I let out one of the BR's. The BR got a little aggressive, just bowing the chest out and flapping her wings. When do you think it would be a good time to put them all together? I dont want to wait too long, being afraid the BR's getting older may become more aggressive. Thanks in advance!!

2. allieloveschickens

allieloveschickens Songster

May 20, 2010
    San Diego
    That is a bit of a significant size difference, is there anyway that you could put a mesh divider in the brooder so the two groups could see each other for a week or so before you combine them? It would be good for them to get used to each other in a safe area before they are thrown together. Good luck!

3. redheadfarmer

redheadfarmer In the Brooder

Oct 20, 2011
    SW Ontario
    [​IMG]I tried putting 7 week olvie eggers in a grow out pen with 4 week ameraucanas and it was an epic fail! Even though the ameraucanas outnumbered the olive eggers 2-1, I couldn't get the little girls out of there fast enough. Can't wait to hear someone else's advice.[​IMG]

4. zstewart123

zstewart123 In the Brooder

Jan 30, 2012
    St Amant ,Louisiana
    I was thinking of placing the brooder, a large wire dog kennel, in the run a few weeks from when I want to incorporate the flocks. This may let them get used to the idea of the new friends while maintaining a physical barrier to protect the young ones.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by