putting two baby flocks together

zstewart123

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jan 30, 2012
St Amant ,Louisiana
I have 3- 8 week Barred Rocks and 6-2 week mixed bunch of biddies. I let the biddies out in the yard while I cleaned their brooder and just to see what would happen, I let out one of the BR's. The BR got a little aggressive, just bowing the chest out and flapping her wings. When do you think it would be a good time to put them all together? I dont want to wait too long, being afraid the BR's getting older may become more aggressive. Thanks in advance!!

That is a bit of a significant size difference, is there anyway that you could put a mesh divider in the brooder so the two groups could see each other for a week or so before you combine them? It would be good for them to get used to each other in a safe area before they are thrown together. Good luck!

idunno.gif
I tried putting 7 week olvie eggers in a grow out pen with 4 week ameraucanas and it was an epic fail! Even though the ameraucanas outnumbered the olive eggers 2-1, I couldn't get the little girls out of there fast enough. Can't wait to hear someone else's advice.
pop.gif

I was thinking of placing the brooder, a large wire dog kennel, in the run a few weeks from when I want to incorporate the flocks. This may let them get used to the idea of the new friends while maintaining a physical barrier to protect the young ones.

Back
Top Bottom