Putting two roosters together

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Denisejmdk, Oct 30, 2016.

1. Denisejmdk

Denisejmdk Out Of The Brooder

Dec 6, 2015
    Florida
    I have a silkie rooster with a polish rooster. When they were put together the polish hat was younger than the silkie. I didn't know the sex of either. In a separate bigger run I have a frizzeled rooster and 5 buff hens. The Frizzell will come after us if we go in the run. I noticed the polish picking on the silkie. Is it safe to put the polish and frizzeled together with the hens? The hens will pick on the silkie. All of the chickens can see each other. The fence is the only thing separating them.

2. Pyxis

Pyxis Hatchaholic Extrordinaire Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    Personally I'd be getting rid of the frizzle and keeping the polish and silkie together and putting them with the hens. A rooster that will attack you is not a good rooster and you don't want him around. Nor do you want to be passing those genetics on by allowing him to breed. Honestly, I'd be having that one for dinner. Plus the silkie and polish are already fine with each other, so you'd cut out the need to put two unfamiliar roosters together who ARE going to fight to establish dominance. You'd be making your life easier all around.

Also, you're going to be needing more than five hens for two roosters. Maybe you have more pullets that you will be adding to the group too so this might be unnecessary to tell you, but I'm adding it just in case :)

Last edited: Oct 30, 2016
  3. Denisejmdk

Denisejmdk Out Of The Brooder

Dec 6, 2015
    Florida
    I forgot to mention the polish is attacking my silkie.

4. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    I'd decide which one I really wanted to keep and get rid of two. If you put two roosters in with your 5 hens, there is a good chance the hens will get stressed out from over breeding, or and least the constant pursuit of the two (I have two cockerels with 20 pullets all together right now - they free range, but at the moment they are one flock - when one of the cockerels breeds a pullet, the other one sometimes feels the need to breed the same one for whatever reason their chicken-brains tell them to). If one is chasing a pullet, the other sometimes joins the chase. Mine will be separated come winter. The coop/run is not big enough for them for all winter. If I see my pullets and hens showing signs of stress before then, they will be separated sooner.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by