putting warm water in heated dog bowl?

The coldest actual temperature we've experienced has been -15* (windchill made it feel way colder). The longest below freezing has been a week. The water never froze in the heated dog bowl or buckets.

Kansas City, Missouri USA

Last edited:
Quote:
better yet..can you give chickens warm water? i was thinking on that? dont wont to impose on your thread tho..... anyone know?

WIsh i had an answer to the op's question too!
smile.png

I do this every morning so I sure hope it doesn't cause it to fail. Rather than leave it on for the 14 hours they are in their coop, each night I empty it out, then next morning get a gallon of warm water from the tap, empty it into the bowl and plug it in. That way its not trying to heat the bowl with a block of ice in it and I also don't have to run it 24/7 to keep it unfrozen. Seems to be working out fine so far.

Quote:
Isn't that the job of a heated water bowl?
If the element is designed to heat water to keep it from freezing, how can warm water harm it?
wink.png

Chris

Quote:
Ive heard that its ok to give your chick warm water. We actually have a heated chick waterer. The base is heated and it has been working perfect. We had -17 temps last night in Minnesota. No frozen water. We bought the waterer at Fleet Farm- its a farm supply store in this area.

Back
Top Bottom