putting warm water in heated dog bowl?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Jim from Cincinnati, Dec 13, 2010.

1. Jim from Cincinnati

Jim from Cincinnati Out Of The Brooder

Dec 13, 2009
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Have a quick question....has anyone tried using warm water in their heated bowls? Am wondering if the warm water will mess with the bowls heating system?....thanks ...Jim from Cincinnati

2. HopeMissouri

HopeMissouri Out Of The Brooder

The coldest actual temperature we've experienced has been -15* (windchill made it feel way colder). The longest below freezing has been a week. The water never froze in the heated dog bowl or buckets.

Kansas City, Missouri USA

Last edited: Dec 13, 2010
  3. joebryant

joebryant Overrun With Chickens

Quote:I sure hope not because that's exactly what I just did about 15 minutes ago.

4. annie3001

annie3001 My Girls

Jun 11, 2009
    Ct.
    Quote:better yet..can you give chickens warm water? i was thinking on that? dont wont to impose on your thread tho..... anyone know?

WIsh i had an answer to the op's question too! [​IMG]

5. jmagill

jmagill Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2009
    Western Wyoming
    I find that during cold weather my chickens prefer warmer water, drink more and produce more eggs.

6. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    I do this every morning so I sure hope it doesn't cause it to fail. Rather than leave it on for the 14 hours they are in their coop, each night I empty it out, then next morning get a gallon of warm water from the tap, empty it into the bowl and plug it in. That way its not trying to heat the bowl with a block of ice in it and I also don't have to run it 24/7 to keep it unfrozen. Seems to be working out fine so far.

7. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:Isn't that the job of a heated water bowl?
    If the element is designed to heat water to keep it from freezing, how can warm water harm it? [​IMG]

Chris

8. Jim from Cincinnati

Jim from Cincinnati Out Of The Brooder

Dec 13, 2009
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    thanks VERY MUCH to everyone. will not worry about warm water...if it works for you..should work for me.

9. wood&feathers

wood&feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 22, 2009
    E. KY
    Yup, I just put warm water in mine a minute ago, no prob

10. lkmarx

lkmarx New Egg

Oct 21, 2010
    southeast minnesota
    Quote:Ive heard that its ok to give your chick warm water. We actually have a heated chick waterer. The base is heated and it has been working perfect. We had -17 temps last night in Minnesota. No frozen water. We bought the waterer at Fleet Farm- its a farm supply store in this area.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by