Putting week old chick in with day old

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by henney penny, Jul 10, 2011.

1. henney penny

henney penny Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2009
    Northern Maine
    I have a polish that hatched in my incubator Wensday and I have a broody silkie that will start hatching tomorrow hopefully,I will eventualy put the polish in with the silkies.Will she accept a chick that looks differant and is older by a few days,and will the newly hatched chicks be safe around a more active chick?

2. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    They should be just fine. [​IMG]

~ Aspen

3. KDailey

KDailey Crazy Cochin Lady

Jun 27, 2011
    Bronson, Tx
    I put my 2-day old chicks in with my two week old chicks and they were perfectly fine. The older chicks were actually afraid of the younger ones and freaked out for a minute before they figured out that they were just miniature versions of themselves. lol.

I'm actually glad that I put them all together because now the older ones are teaching the younger ones to come to me when I say, "Chickies! Chickies!"

4. henney penny

Nov 21, 2009
    Northern Maine
    [​IMG] Tonights the big night for me,I`m going underneath the broody silkie mama at dark.I am the only polish baby and I know that the other silkie babies will like me cause they have funny looking heads to.So I will be raised by a silkie mom and have silkie brothers and sisters.If I were to go in with the other big chickens when I got big they would pick my head untill it would bleed cause I look different.My incubator mom will take me out tonight at dark and put me under my new mom and go out very early in the morning to check on me,I hope I make out ok ,my incubator mom has done this before and it worked.

5. henney penny

Nov 21, 2009
    Northern Maine
    I went under the mama at 9:15 last night,my incubator mom checked on me at 4:20am but I was still sleeping,I have another new sibling it hatched in the middle of the night.So now I have seven brothers and sisters to play with.Its cold here this morning only 56 in the coop so i`m not comming out for awhile.I`ll post a picture later of the whole family.

6. TheJuan-n-Only

TheJuan-n-Only Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2010
    Tampa
    [​IMG] good luck little buddy! lol

Now I'm waiting on the happy fam pics! [​IMG]

7. henney penny

Nov 21, 2009
    Northern Maine
    [​IMG] Here I am with my new family,I like my sisters and brothers,mom it nice to.

8. TheJuan-n-Only

TheJuan-n-Only Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2010
    Tampa
    Adorable!!! [​IMG]

May have to add a silkie to the "want/have to have" list.....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by