1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Putting weight on a sick button quail.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by brightypink, Aug 13, 2011.

1. brightypink

brightypink New Egg

Aug 13, 2011
    My indoor button quail has a nasty case of bumblefoot and a respiratory infection. The vet prescribed antibiotics and betadine soaks for his legs, which we have been doing since yesterday. Jabberwocky has been eating pretty well, but today his keel feels very sharp and his back looks very boney. The vet is closed at the moment so I haven't called her for advice yet. Is there anything I can feed the little guy to help him put some weight on while he recovers?

His food dish normally contains gamebird crumbles from the feed store, finch seed mix, crushed Taste of the Wild cat food, and Harrisons bird pellets. He also gets a cooked bean/grain mix that I make for my parrots, mealworms, and fresh greens. I normally give him a big flat dish to browse so he can pick what he wants to eat, and he seems to eat a bit of everything.

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:If he'll eat some cooked egg yolk that may help. sounds like he's pretty pampered, I hope he gets over the infections.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by