1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Putting wheels on a large aviary

Discussion in 'Quail' started by cereall, Jun 2, 2016.

1. cereall

cereall Out Of The Brooder

I'm building an aviary/coop that is 6ft tall, 10 ft long, and 10ft wide. It's made of wood and hardware cloth and it's going to be over 300 pounds but needs to be movable. Does anybody know any good way/design to disengage wheels so they don't lift the coop when not in use? Thanks!!!

Last edited: Jun 6, 2016
  2. preciouseureka

preciouseureka Out Of The Brooder

Apr 3, 2016
    There are wheels that flip up and down and lock...if you have a place like Tractor supply, look there! I think they use them for the different attachments on smaller tractors.....they're pretty tough and should do the job. I've found a lot of cool coop parts there.....I just wander the parts aisles and get creative...good luck!

1 person likes this.
  3. eHuman

eHuman Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2016
    It will be challenging choosing a material that is both strong and light enough to be that size and movable.

4. preciouseureka

preciouseureka Out Of The Brooder

Apr 3, 2016
    Yep, our first was overbuilt! We were so afraid of predators we used two by fours and it weighs quite a bit! I'm a petite girl and I can move it but I'm not going to pretend it's easy.

Second coop is triple decker so we needed something lighter, we went with two by two's....much easier! Also, wheels are good but a well placed handle is just as important....otherwise you wind up dragging it around with your fingertips in the hardware cloth.....not good!

I move the coops onto fresh ground everyday so mobile was a priority. The goal is for coop three to be even easier.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by