1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

putting young roo with older hens

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by hisbride, Jul 13, 2007.

1. hisbride

hisbride Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2007
    GA
    Would there be much trouble if a 4 month old roo is put in with 1-2 year old hens? I figured they might not take kindly to him but as he grew into his role they would get over it. Anyone have any advice or experience with this?

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Slowly introduce him and he should blend in and take his role soon enough. At 4 months he might end up lower than the top hen for a while but most likley not for long. Especially when he learns roo manners and offers them goodies.

3. hisbride

Jun 18, 2007
    GA
    Well we put him in and he is much smaller than our 17 week pullets even though he supposed to be the same age. They pecked at him alot. He has a spot on his upper wing that didn't have fathers and they went for it. In about 10 min is was bloody. We took him out and put him in with 2 pullets and they still pecked him even with Blu-Kote. Hubby is going to move the cage close to where the pullets are and let him be there for a few days.

4. hatchcrazzzy

hatchcrazzzy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2007
    kemp texas
    please take the roo and put it in a cage by itself untill it is healed.if you dont they will kill him.let them get used to him and then put him in and all should be allright.[​IMG]

5. hisbride

Jun 18, 2007
    GA
    I should have stated that we immediately removed the 2 pullets from the cage and he is by himself until he is fully healed. I don't know how they will get used to him if he is not in the coop with the rest. I guess we'll deal with that when he is healed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by