putting younger chicks in with older

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Princessfarmer, May 14, 2011.

1. Princessfarmer

Princessfarmer Out Of The Brooder

Apr 9, 2011
    Roy, washington
    i have 8 four month old chickens, 5 hens and 3 bantam roos. I have 9 chicks who are about 6 weeks old.....how do i start incorporating them into the coop? I let them go in the coop for small periods but the bigger chickens start being mean to them and i put the babies away? At some point they all have to live together....how can i make this easier?

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    The best way seems to be to have them separated by some sort of fence so they can see and hear each other -- usually I read a month or til they are all the same size. I have always wound up mixing them sooner than that and have not had a problem -- but that doesn't mean I did it the right or safe way. In some cases they did it themselves, escaped or climbed a fence. There's no predicting chickens, i've decided.

3. jtbrown

jtbrown Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    Southeastern Ohio
    If there is any way you can allow them to see each other through a fence, I have read that helps. I integrated same age bantams in to standards, it seemed to work to put bantams in mini cage within coop and then turn them loose after a few days supervised, then put back in mini and increase time out til everyone was *mostly* friendly. It worked well even with size difference. Good luck

4. BrattishTaz

BrattishTaz Roo Magnet

Jan 8, 2011
    Tampa Area, Florida
    I have a brooder divided by chicken wire. I had chicks in there that were about two weeks apart. The older ones managed to break the divider and killed one chick and scalped another. [​IMG] That incident occured over a month ago. I began freeranging all of them together again a few days ago with no issues at first. I thought all would be ok until they did it again. I know some people mix ages with success but that has not been my experience.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by