Puzzle Box Coop (updated pictures!!!)

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by NoseyChickens, Aug 11, 2010.

1. NoseyChickens

NoseyChickens Feathers On The Ground

Aug 3, 2009
    Southern California
    A while back DH scored me these great boxes from work! They are 4X4 and about 3 1/2 ft tall. I have three of them so far!

[​IMG]

They come apart like a puzzle

[​IMG]

I cut the holes for the windows, doors, and nest box

[​IMG]

Covered the windows with wire mesh

[​IMG]

Covered the floor with peel and stick tile

[​IMG]

Here is a side view so far

[​IMG]

And the view where the door (left) and nestbox (right) will be.

[​IMG]

I will be adding the door and nest box in the next day or two. The door will double as the ramp up into the coop. I am also working with ideas on angling something over the windows that will keep out the rain, I just havent decided what to use yet.

I am using them for breeding coops. I will also add a roosting bar to the other ones, but this one is for my silkies, so I left it out.

The best part is you can just unlatch one side and lift it off for easy cleaning.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2010
  2. emys

emys Songster

Nov 19, 2008
    Idaho
    [​IMG] Very Cool!

3. pookiegoldman

pookiegoldman Songster

Aug 3, 2010
    Grand Isle, Louisiana
    Those are freakin awesome!! Just curious, What were those boxes originally used for?? (Hoping I may be able to score one for myself [​IMG] )

4. Those are very cool!!!! I have never seen anything like it [​IMG]

5. NoseyChickens

Aug 3, 2009
    Southern California
    They were used for storage in the wharehouse. I think for clothes and whatnot, one of them was marked "fleece". I guess there is some thick scrap plywood they are ready to take to the wood chipper, so he is going to bring it home!! Whoot! I am very excited! I had another giant shipping crate I turned into my duck house a little while ago.

6. Quailbuddy

Quailbuddy Songster

Jan 8, 2010
    Sonoma County CA
    wow thats great! [​IMG] You scored on that find!! [​IMG]

7. NoseyChickens

Aug 3, 2009
    Southern California
    I have DH hooked now. He is on the look out for stuff they are chucking all the time now. He sends me picture texts of things they might be getting rid of that he thinks we can work with.

I bought a few pieces of lumber and some hinges, and the wire mesh, but other than that it was all stuff I already had. So this has cost me less than $25 and I still have enough to finish the other boxes.

8. BWKatz

BWKatz Songster

May 22, 2010
    Columbia,SC
    VERY cool! [​IMG]

9. Great use of resources!!! I like it!

10. Luke13:34

Luke13:34 Songster

Aug 3, 2010
    The Naugatuck Valley
    I love it. I have a pile of old solid wood doors in my attic I've been thinking of using.. I think if I do, it will look a lot like that. very cool. Is it heavy?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by