1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Puzzled about Coturnix Behavior...Puff and strut...

Discussion in 'Quail' started by The Critter Place, Nov 25, 2011.

1. The Critter Place

The Critter Place Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2011
    Tucson, Az.
    I have one Coturnix Quail being EXTRA Goofy. lol... And I'm wondering if it's an indication of what sex it could be.

It's a Rosetta... 6 weeks old tomorrow(sat).

When I sit in front of the cage for awhile, just watching everyone... It puffs up and struts around staring at me. it really is funny to watch. [​IMG]

It's in with 5 male Jumbo Brown, and 1 female. All hatch mates.

Judging from the size, me and Quaillady thought it to be a female. Is this female behavior or male?

If male, it's going to be a big boy

Last edited: Nov 25, 2011
  2. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    back feathers raised? My females do that when I take eggs.

3. The Critter Place

Aug 13, 2011
    Tucson, Az.
    Yes! and butt kinda in the air.. lol...

So we may still be looking at a female? Practicing her " Dont take my eggs, strut" LOL! Cool...
    No eggs from them yet.. but I guess maybe soon, if at 6 weeks now. (one other female in the cage)

It really is funny to watch.. and the only one that's done it.. I have 5 other grown females, and one young.

4. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    puff and strut in coturnix translates to "THis is MY house! You got that?!"

5. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    Quote:That's what makes them entertaining. They are really interesting boogers. I do see the behavior in females moreso than males (in buttons, the males can do it but it's hilarious). If you really want to know if she is female or male is to look at the vent. Big bulbous gland there? If so, she's a he. If there is an open void, he is a she [​IMG]

6. Dingo

Dingo Chillin' With My Peeps

By that age comparing vents should be very easy.

7. The Critter Place

Aug 13, 2011
    Tucson, Az.
    Hi Everyone!
    Thanks!
    It's been fun watching and learning. This bird is so funny!

Quaillady... It's "Stellar Surprise" so why not? [​IMG]

I did a vent check and being the first time... wont swear by the results.. but would say it to be a female.. compared to the known males and 1 known female.. Plus the know males, were foaming.. this one wasn't.

Either way is fine by me. It's a beautiful bird! And I have more eggs in the bator as we speak to find it a suitable mate.. in the meanwhile, it just has to learn to deal with me being nosy and watching.. [​IMG]

As you said Quaillady,
    They are funny to watch!
    I call them my goofballs. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by