Puzzled by behavior/internal laying, maybe?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ShinShien, Apr 16, 2017.

1. ShinShien

ShinShien Overrun With Chickens

Oct 1, 2013
    Alabama
    I have a marans/brahma cross hen, 2-years-old in May, behaving strangely. She goes into the nesting boxes, sits there, then after a while, gets up and leaves. There's never an egg in the box. Looked up internal laying, and the only symptom she seems to have is a slightly swollen area around her vent. She's active, eats well, dust bathes and generally loves life. There's no cure for internal laying, is there?

2. TheTwoRoos

TheTwoRoos Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2015
    I think a hen who has retirade from laying,they feel the need to keep going,but your hen is 2 years,shouldn't be "Retiring" at all.My hen on the other hand is 4 years,so more likely for her to do behavior like this,might just be internal laying.

3. ShinShien

ShinShien Overrun With Chickens

Oct 1, 2013
    Alabama
    I'm afraid if it's internal laying, she needs to be euthanized before she can suffer. White-tip, that's her name, was kinda a special hen. Her half-sister, Elle, died recently after an attack from a feral cat got infected, so White-tip being ill is a bit overwhelming.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by