Puzzled with the price.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Suckgg, Nov 21, 2019.

1. Suckgg

Suckgg In the Brooder

Sep 27, 2019
    Right now I have different sizes of egg for sale.
    Is there any different prices between the Large size eggs and Medium size eggs?

ValerieJ and DobieLover like this.
  2. Duck_life

Duck_life Duck Addict

May 14, 2019
    Woods of PA
    I don't sell eggs but the better the layer and taste, the more cents added to the price. IMO.

ValerieJ and Suckgg like this.
  3. FortCluck

FortCluck Free Ranging

Sep 9, 2019
    Central Virginia
    I don't charge by the size. I usually give most of my eggs away to my friend's son in law who's a body builder.

4. trumpeting_angel

trumpeting_angel Free Ranging

Feb 6, 2019
    Vermont
    In stores the large eggs sell for a little more. Not much. Recipes always call for large eggs, so that's a reason for a preference.

FortCluck, ValerieJ and Suckgg like this.
  5. DobieLover

DobieLover Easily distracted by chickens

Jul 23, 2018
    Apalachin, NY
    My Coop
    What I do is sell by weight. Most of my hens lay large to extra large eggs. So I will slip smaller or pullet eggs in the carton with some of the extra large or jumbo eggs and just make sure the average weight is at least at the extra large size. My customers don't mind this.
    Lately, I've been eating most of the pullet eggs until they start to get bigger.

6. Suckgg

Suckgg In the Brooder

Sep 27, 2019
    Thank you all! I notice that in ShopRite store, some Large size eggs sold for $7.99 a dozen. Almost $0.01 per gram. That's a fair way maybe.

ValerieJ likes this.
  7. PirateGirl

PirateGirl Chicken Lover, Duck Therapist

Mar 11, 2017
    South Park, Colorado, USA
    I like to give buyers a mix of sizes and colors. I think somehow it feels more authentic to buying backyard eggs vs. store bought, however if I had a larger commercial operation and was selling much more than I am I would think the need for consistency would be important and would use and egg scale and sort and price accordingly.

Suckgg and FortCluck like this.
  8. gimmie birdies

gimmie birdies Crowing

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    I have med. eggs and large eggs. I only sell my large eggs (just 2 cartons a week) and eat the Med. eggs. The reason why, I am proud of the big eggs. I don't have any bantams.

9. ChocolateMouse

ChocolateMouse Crowing

Jul 29, 2013
    Cleveland OH
    I only sell in mixed dozens. They're labeled "mixed free range" on the cartons. Everyone I sell to knows what they're getting.

Suckgg likes this.
  10. ShannonR

ShannonR Crowing

Sep 17, 2015
    Where do you live? Egg prices vary quite a bit depending on location, among other factors.

Is the $7.99 for organic free range or something?

Suckgg and FortCluck like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: