PVC chicken tractor??

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Hennyhandler, Feb 22, 2011.

1. Hennyhandler

Hennyhandler SilkieJax

Jun 10, 2009
    Cullman
    I have a permanent run for my chickens but I am sure as you all have experienced there is no grass left so I thought to make a chicken tractor. I want it to be cheap and simple and thought why not the PVC ones that I have seen. I am only going to allow them in there and hour or so hopefully a day but probably two or three days and then for longer on the weekends.
    Now, my question. I have ten chickens and am hoping to have about four to five more, at least that is the maximum, and I wanted to know how big this tractor needs to be since they won't be in there for long periods of time?
    Also, how do you get chicken netting to attach to the pvc?
    Thanks.

2. WestKnollAmy

WestKnollAmy The Crazy Chicken Lady Premium Member

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    Is there any way you could just let them out to free range outside their pen an hour or so before dark?
    At dark they will coop back up by themselves.
    If you are only going to be doing it for an hour or two a day then it will take you longer to tractor them in and out than just opening the door and letting them go until dark.
    Later in the spring if you still wanted something more permanent just remember predators can bust through PVC and chicken netting or go under it fairly easy.

3. Hennyhandler

Hennyhandler SilkieJax

Jun 10, 2009
    Cullman
    I am working on them being able to just go out but I have a dog that is need of some training first. [​IMG] This would not be a permanent area for them to stay in. It is just for them to be able to forage for awhile.

4. Zanna

Zanna Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 14, 2010
    Jefferson, Oregon
    My tractor is not completely PVC, it is built on PVC so it slides easily and we used PVC for the door frame and to attach the chicken wire to the metal piping. That was done with Zip Ties. Here is a pic., hope it helps..........Maybe it will give you some ideas.
    [​IMG][/img]
    [​IMG][/img]

5. quintinp

quintinp Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2010
    Southern Oklahoma
    nice, how much did it cost, i am wanting to stay very low on costs, and i am really liking your run

6. Zanna

Zanna Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 14, 2010
    Jefferson, Oregon
    nice, how much did it cost, i am wanting to stay very low on costs, and i am really liking your run

The tractor was not cheap to make, I think around $500.00 but was a fun project!​

7. wannabchick

wannabchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 27, 2010
    Northen Va
    Looks great, you should be so proud

Fab

8. 95yj

95yj Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2009
    Central Vermont
    pvc or aluminum conduit tractors are very lightweight, they can be usefull as temporary runs during the day, but still offer little protection from determined predators. Also, they can be so lightweight that a strong breeze can flip it. http://www.pvcplans.com/pvc-pastured-poultry-pen.htm
    that would work fine so long as they were only in it during the day, if its windy you can stake it out. Zipties work for attaching the wire. Just remember that that kind of a tractor will barely slow down a medium sized dog.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by