PVC Coops

aj1

Chirping
11 Years
Mar 31, 2010
Somewhere In, TX
Does anyone have a coop like this? It is from Cackle Hatchery. I would like to build one like this out of PVC pipe and would like to get the dementions of the closed in part of the coop for the chickens to roost and the spacings of the hoops. It's 4' tall 4' wide 8' long and holds 6 full grown chickens or 14 bantams. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to build this thanks for the help.

52815_chicken_coop.jpg

I also am planning a PVC run, with a coop that may or may not be PVC inside of it.

So I'd also like to know if anyone has a PVC coop/run
smile.png

~ Della ~

Edit to add:

IMO 4'x8' (32 sq. ft.) coop & run combo is to small for 6 birds unless they are small bantams, Just my $.02

Last edited:
I got started on a PVC tractor, but kinda got stuck along the way...
There are a few other examples if you do a search. Haven't seen this one yet though. Pretty spiffy.

I like it! I've never built anything out of PVC though. I made a tractor of similar size (4' X 8') by first making the rectangular frame out of 2x3s. The door was then framed. I covered the whole thing in two panels of "concrete mesdh" from Home Depot (it was 4' X 7' 10 gauge wire mesh, 6"squares). This structure was re-purposed from my seedling hot house. That mesh was then covered in poultry wire (in hindsight I would have used hardware cloth). The ends were covered in 2"X4" galvanized wire. So the top wire part derives its strength from the arch and lower gauge wire, rather than ribs. I then insulated a strip down the middle and put a couple panels of corrugated roofing in the center. That's how I made mine. It's very sturdy and weighs 75 lbs total, but is easily moved on the casters. If you make one, be sure to show it to us!
56638_tractor1.jpg
56638_tractor2.jpg

I have a pvc run~you can check it out on my BYC page...
Love the one in your original post..

The usual rule of thumb you read is 4 square feet per chicken indoors, plus 10 square feet per chicken outdoors. Six chickens in that 32 square feet total tractor would be mighty crowded, in my opinion. They'd probably need to spend most of their day outside of it for it to work.

I don't know about the bantam number, either. I have nine bantams in a 72 square foot day tractor, and that barely suffices. Bantams are physically smaller, sure, but many of the breeds are very active and lively.

In my opinion, hoop houses don't make great permanent houses, I have one that i use for my broilers in the spring, i made it all for like $10 and what i had lying around, but it works for the 12 weeks a year i use it.
DSCN1643.jpg

It's really basic and simple to build. The base is 4 2x6's nailed into a rectangle. then i drilled holes in the long part of the rectangle and stuck flexible pvc in them and bent it over to the other side. Covered it in wire and a tarp, the door took a little bit of playing but thats alright. BTW its not predator proof in the least, it would take a fischer (you got those in texas?) 5 minutes to dig in, or 30 seconds to chew through the wire, and a coyote could just rip through the walls.

I, too, will follow this thread. I am working on my husband now to build me a tractor. Can't get him to read any of the posts in here so I read them to him sometimes. He is of the mindset that if you feed them they will grow and lay. I, on the other hand, have to read as much as I can about things to make sure I am not missing anything.

I do not want to free range as we live in the country and are just asking for something to happen to the chickens. Neighbors all have dogs they let run around. Those dogs, we are positive, killed our dog and our neighbors dog and another neighbors sheep. I keep a loaded gun where I can get to it should they even show up over here. I think free ranging chickens would be too much for them to resist....not to mention the hawks.

So then if I had a tractor that would allow me to let them out to semi-free range. Plus, the age my flock is getting we are watching for the roo's to start to tussle. I want a place to move them too when that time comes. We will eventually put in the pot those who can't get along. I just want them big enough to be worth our while. I have a couple of really large dog crates for just in case.

I did a search online. Well several times I have done the search. Looking up PVC tractors. I have saved the pics from what I have found. My husband is a carpenter.....so one look was all he needed or would look at. BUT....I think he is going to build me one pretty soon. With the price of PVC he was good with trying to make me one.

However, the pic on here I am really interested in. I would like to have a more permanent one like that picture.....or two or three....to put different breeds in. Just a pair or two that I could keep separate.

Keep the ideas coming!
frow.gif

We built a large PVC coop last spring and it is holding up very well. It wasn't expensive to build. We used greenhouse plans published by the University of South Carolina and instead of wrapping the whole thing in plastic sheeting, we wrapped it in 1" reinforced poultry netting (even the floor). The base is 12' x 16'.

This pic was taken very soon after we finished building, we finished the roof, trimmed all the ties, a frame to hang the food and water from, some stepping stones, some flowers and more composting for all the litter. We keep 8 chickens in there presently.

63704_easter_weekend_001.jpg

Back
Top Bottom