1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

pvc feeder question

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by gale65, Jul 19, 2011.

1. gale65

gale65 Chillin' With My Peeps

I made a pvc feeder similar to this one (not my picture-it's from another thread)

[​IMG]

The feed doesn't go into the horizontal part on its own very easily. Do they have to peck the feed to get more to come out? Or do I need to mess with it every time the bottom part gets low? It is 3" pvc and I have 2" holes cut in it. Right now they can fit their heads in but I'm afraid that when they get full grown they won't be able to and we'll have to cut out a bigger area.

2. mljohnson05

mljohnson05 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2011
    Missouri
    if they peck long enough it will come own a little....but you see in the pic how there is a board on top and on bottom to mount it??? Well I made the top board a little thicker so it will slant a bit...an I have no trouble having te feed drop own now [​IMG]

Hope this helps,

--Laura--

3. chicken_noob

chicken_noob Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2011
    Chehalis WA.
    Clean and simple. I like it.

4. ruffedgrouse

ruffedgrouse Out Of The Brooder

Jun 20, 2011
    Central Pennsylvania
    I made a pvc feeder out of 4" pipe and just cut a slot in it. They eat out of it fine and being such a large pipe it doesn't need filled up too often.

5. 1AcreRooster

1AcreRooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Ive never tried one for my birds, but been feeding the deer with these for years

6. Buff-Island-Australorp

Buff-Island-Australorp Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    Bixby, OK
    Quote:Maybe use a 45° ell bw instead of a 90°, so it's still angled down a bit.
    Or, the more I think about PVC feeders, instead of making just one feeder to supply foof to all your birds, make several and just turn the ell bw piece up so they are sticking their head into the ell bw to eat and not an extension piece. Some will have to take turns eating, but they would function better. Someone has pictures on here of theirs where they did that.

7. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:Maybe use a 45° ell bw instead of a 90°, so it's still angled down a bit.
    Or, the more I think about PVC feeders, instead of making just one feeder to supply foof to all your birds, make several and just turn the ell bw piece up so they are sticking their head into the ell bw to eat and not an extension piece. Some will have to take turns eating, but they would function better. Someone has pictures on here of theirs where they did that.

Or two 45's with a short piece of pipe in between them.

Chris

8. gale65

gale65 Chillin' With My Peeps

I can't put a 45 in now. For one thing the 90 is glued and also there isn't enough room. It would be laying on the floor or the floor would probably be in the way and we can't make the top part any shorter because of the area it's in and the way it's secured. I'll just leave it as is and maybe cut between the holes so they have more room to put their heads in. This supposedly simple pvc feeder has turned out to be a huge headache.

9. Kitty Cat

Kitty Cat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2011
    Campos De La Gracia
    That's a super cool idea! I would think if they peck at it enough it would come down. But you could slant it a little so that gravity will give you a little hand. Good Luck!

10. Life is Good!

Life is Good! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    suburbia Chicagoland
    Our PVC feeder has a 90 degree street elbow (so it's an odd size on one end - bit of a pain to gather the required parts, but I had fun putting it all together in the plumbing section of Menards one afternoon!), so the feed doesn't get caught in the elbow.

Yes, I do stick my hand up the elbow and 'pull' some feed down periodically (every other day?). I don't mind, as my chicks are molting right now - their downy feathers are EVERYWHERE - including in the feed, so I quick remove the feathers from the feed AND pull it down for them too.

I think of it as like changing their water daily. I eat three times a day, why shouldn't I make sure my hens do to?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by