PVC feeder???????????????????????S

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by mgw, Jun 26, 2010.

1. mgw

mgw Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2010
    Eastern Wa.
    WE just bought the suppliesto build pvc feeder;4" pipe & fittings. some questions.

1. What is bestso hens wont scatter feed out:cut slots,

drill holes ? what size?, or just cut top out.
    2.It will be in the run so how high should we mount it?
    3. How do we keep the girls from roosting on it: put in corner,
    or put cover over it to low for them to get between?

we are planning on making the " L" shaped one .
    We would truely apreciate all thoughts, comments & ideas we wont be making it til tommorow so we can hopefully
    get feedback from you all so we can make better desitions about design. thank you all Mike & Angie.

2. D'Angelo N Va.

D'Angelo N Va. Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    I'm sorry...I can honestly say I have no idea what you are talking about.

3. upthecreek

upthecreek Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2009
    South Alabama
    There's info here in BYC somewhere about building feeders like you are talking about . Do a good search , plus maybe someone will step forward with the info .
    Good LUck

Quote:

4. Boo-Boo's Mama

Boo-Boo's Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

Last edited: Jun 26, 2010
  5. JMPE

JMPE Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2009
    Western Wisconsin
    I made an L shape PVC feeder with a few mistakes, but this is what I've seen (and what I hope to change someday). First my girls were so little at the time that I used 3" pipe. I wish I had used 4" (maybe someday I'll rebuild). I like having the top of the pipe cut open. When things get low or blocked, they have no trouble getting to the feed and moving it along. I also have the feeding area sloped slightly. My girls can still make a mess, but I have strips of PVC that snap over the top of the pipe to help (I think the problem would be eliminated with the 4" pipe). It's low and away from the roosting area, so I haven't had trouble with that. Here are a few pictures...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. mgw

May 29, 2010
    Eastern Wa.
    Thank you all for ideas & websight info this is helping us alot.

7. mgw

May 29, 2010
    Eastern Wa.
    O.K buolt the feeders using the " L " shape . We went with drilling 2.5" holes in the side of pipe. Attached themm to a 4x4 post using large zip-ties filled them with feed each one holds about 30lb the girls sort of leary about it so it took some BOSS sprinkled on the ground rite under it then put some in the holes on top of the feed. they figured it out right away. the polish chicks took to it right away also. they dont seem to bill the feed out at all so far. Plus they take up way less room than the 5 gallon planter base feeder we were using. So thanks to all BYCers for your postings & posting pics of coops & equpment.

8. enggass

enggass Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2010
    Mid-Coast Maine
    Pics?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by