PVC Feeder Success!

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by krisZ, Feb 7, 2015.

1. krisZ

krisZ New Egg

Aug 11, 2014
    Goshen, OH
    I've been using a standard plastic feeder but lately my girls have been slinging feed everywhere trying to get to the sunflower seeds (they get a whole grain feed). So I decided to make a make a PVC feeder. After much Pinterest consultation and a few trial and error modifications this is what I came up with. It seems to be working great! They can't sling their feed anymore! [​IMG]
    The cost was about $30; totally worth its weight in wasted feed.

2. Toddrick

Toddrick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2014
    Indiana
    I need to build one like that right away. Mine dump probably 50% of their food on the ground. I don't know why they just don't make the lips higher around the edges of standard feeders, because it would work just as good.

Anyways, is your canted so that the for slides down towards the lower end cap? It looks like it's straight up. How much does it need to cant?

3. krisZ

krisZ New Egg

Aug 11, 2014
    Goshen, OH
    Yes, I put a screw-on cap on the top which is where I pour in the feed. I initially put in 4 quarts of feed and that was enough to cause a little backup in the vertical pipe, but I think I can fit about 20 quarts in there. But I only I have 4 hens at present so I didn't see the need to fill it to the top.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by