PVC feeder warning

Earl-Ray

In the Brooder
6 Years
Nov 15, 2013
So I decided to make one of those L shaped 4" pvc pipe feeders, you know 2 end caps, one 90 degree elbow and two pieces of pvc with the vertical being the gravity fed storage and the horizontal with holes/top cut out for chickens to access the feed. Well, the feed is getting caught in the 90 degree elbow. I think I need a different design elbow. one with a more of a curve between the flanges where you stick the pipe in. Notice in the picture how these lips touch on the inside of the elbow. I even inserted the factory cut ends into the elbow to create a nice tight fit with no valley for the feed to snag on, hill up, and stop it up. Does anyone have this style feeder that actually works??? There is a ton of youtube videos on this design, however they never show feed being removed and gravity actually doing its job. I am going to try another elbow but would still like any info from others such as if you used a different elbow, type of pipe used, do you have it on a slight tilt to help gravity out, etc?. I guess i should also add i used the thin wall sewer pipe. Because its cheaper than schedule 40.

Hope this helps someone out there.

Pretty sure I'm using same as you and not having any problems. We do cap ours at night to keep mice out and as it gets close to empty ill sometimes give it a little shake.

But really its working well for us.

Last edited:
I feed crumbles. 50/50 mix of Grower/Layer. And sometimes add in some black oil sunflower seeds however i was using no sunflower seeds at the time of my first post, only crumble feed as I am also at this time so I cannot say if that will cause a blockage. As far as humidity, yes it is humid(only 2.5 hour drive to the gulf coast) but not right now as it is winter so humidity, I suspect, dosent play a role in it. In fact I got myself a new 90 degree elbow of a different design and it works like a champ now.

The one on the bottom is the one you want. the top one stops up.

here is a pic of what I did. I tried to turn the picture but I dont know how.(just lean your head to the left) the longer pipe will be vertical and i will add another section making it longer, as well as a cap. you can see the feed inside the groove i cut out on the shorter piece... works like a champ.
oh and as a note on saving money, the sewer pipe elbows are about a third the cost of schedule 40, and the sewer pipe joints are half the cost.
and thanks for your pics appps i have a similar plan to your design, instead of the elbows and caps at the bottom it has straight pipes to the side like on my design. (i dont have rodent problems due to high population of cottonmouth snakes) I dont know if it will work tho. but now that i saw your design i am more willing to spend the money to see.

Back
Top Bottom