1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Pvc feeder wasting?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by vjbakke, Jul 7, 2011.

1. vjbakke

vjbakke Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2011
    MN
    I have 2 pvc feeders in my coop. I am finding the the girls can shovel out a lot of feed lately while they are eating. I have been raising it up however if I raise it any more some of the girls will not be able to reach it. I am thinking we need to change something about the design. I'll have to take pics later of what it looks like to get a better Idea of it.

2. BellevueOmlet

BellevueOmlet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Sometimes chickens just waste food. It is natural for them to scratch so they scratch at their food with their beaks even if it is a nice feeder. Not much you can do about it. Some food will get wasted.

3. ninabeast

ninabeast Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    Upstate New York
    I'm surprised! What's the design of your feeder? Can you post a pic?

I just installed mine, and there ain't no way they're billing food out of it. The feed is flowing nicely too.

[​IMG]

4. gale65

gale65 Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:What size holes did you drill in that?

5. vjbakke

vjbakke Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2011
    MN
  6. WestKnollAmy

WestKnollAmy The Crazy Chicken Lady Premium Member

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    Depending on the size of your feeder and your birds you could try some wire over it. Poultry wire, dog kennel wire etc. That helped with some of mine, others not so much.

7. eds500

eds500 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2010
    Raleigh, NC
    I had a lot of waste on crumbles. Changing to pellets has solved the problem. I have a vertical PVC feeder that flows into an open trough.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by