PVC pen building advice

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by learycow, Mar 9, 2014.

1. learycow

learycow Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    Southern Maine
    I have a few red tailed hawks in the area that have never been a threat up until now. I tend to free range my birds but can no longer do that.

I am looking to build some PVC pens with netting. That way they are lightweight and easy to move around for fresh pasture.

Does anyone have any pics they can post of theirs? Or advice to building them? I'm not much of a carpenter, lol so this is all new to me!

2. thomasboyle

thomasboyle Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2013
    Northwest Hills of CT
    I built a large run out of PVC and chicken wire. It did well during the spring, summer and fall, but was a disaster in winter. Snow kept collapsing it. I thought the snow would fall though the chicken wire roofing, but it would accumulate and collapse. The sun also made the PVC brittle, so after one year, the T's were breaking due to stress. I used 3/4" PVC. Maybe larger PVC would fair better, but then its not as cheap. If I were you, I would go with 2x2 wood frames instead of the PVC. They would last longer, and its easier to staple netting to wood than to attach it to PVC.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. veronicasmom

veronicasmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2009
    We made gates for the horses paddocks out of pvc years ago. They lasted part way through the winter, until it got really cold, then they got too brittle and snapped. This was in Biddeford, ME, so you would probably have the same issues with temps that we had.

Thomasboyle, that is gorgeous setup!!

4. learycow

learycow Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    Southern Maine
    Thanks guys! And I agree, your setup is gorgeous! I want to have something like that for my call ducks :)

Well you guys made me think twice, in a good way. Because I am in Arundel Maine (right down the road from you veronicasmom!) and it gets cold. So chances are, it will break or collapse in the winter. No sense spending the time and $ when it's only going to last until December. So I suppose I'll go all out and just build a wood pen. I was thinking the PVC with fabric netting would be lightweight and easy to move around the pastures in the summer but I would have to take it apart or leave it outside in the winter. Maybe more work than it's worth!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by